Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfers

ChocksAway

Swinger
Looking at doing a couple years in my choice of battalion (poachers) after starting and finishing catterick this year and then attempting to transfer to the paras and then to pathfinders or 1 Para and then attempt UKSF, minus all the abuse coming if anybody has a straight answer on whether it’s possible to transfer from infantry to paras and the process behind it I’d greatly appreciate it, cheers

Looking at doing a couple years in my choice of battalion (poachers) after starting and finishing catterick this year and then attempting to transfer to the paras and then to pathfinders or 1 Para and then attempt UKSF, minus all the abuse coming if anybody has a straight answer on whether it’s possible to transfer from infantry to paras and the process behind it I’d greatly appreciate it, cheers
You can apply for the Pathfinder platoon selection from any regiment or corp in the army. Although postings are for three years and you would have to return to your battalion after your tour. You used to be able to transfer to the Paras from other infantry battalions after passing All Arms P Company and according to Pegasus magazine this still appears to be the case.

However you will probably have a lot of obstacles put in your way by your battalion as they don't want to lose personnel to other units especially the Paras.

If you want to join the Parachute Regiment go for that first. If you don't make it through Para recruit training you can always opt to go to the Royal Anglians. In the last TV series on Para recruit training - 'The Paras, Men at War' one of the recruits dropped out of Para recruit training at Catterick and went over to the Royal Anglians where he won the award for the best recruit.

Dr Death

War Hero
Well that's if you stay fit & do not knacker up the knee's with all the running, sorry I mean tabbing you will do?
A lot of young men come up with these great ideas and end up not succeeding in their attempts to join UKSF.

Training is brutal on both body & mind.

ugly

LE
Have you actually joined yet? Ah well either way keep us informed as to your progress eh?

Dalef65

Old-Salt
You can apply for the Pathfinder platoon selection from any regiment or corp in the army. Although postings are for three years and you would have to return to your battalion after your tour. You used to be able to transfer to the Paras from other infantry battalions after passing All Arms P Company and according to Pegasus magazine this still appears to be the case.

However you will probably have a lot of obstacles put in your way by your battalion as they don't want to lose personnel to other units especially the Paras.

If you want to join the Parachute Regiment go for that first. If you don't make it through Para recruit training you can always opt to go to the Royal Anglians. In the last TV series on Para recruit training - 'The Paras, Men at War' one of the recruits dropped out of Para recruit training at Catterick and went over to the Royal Anglians where he won the award for the best recruit.

This is along the lines of what I was going to say, so I won't repeat it all as you've already covered it.

I see a lot of people writing in on here, saying they will transfer to this or that after they have joined. My question is, if you think you want to transfer, why not just do it (whatever it is) in the first place.
Asking for and securing a transfer isn't just a case of clicking your fingers at a time of your choice. Official and not-so-official obstacles may be put in your way. Or the vagaries of training might hinder you.

As for SF.....,get through basic first, get to a working unit and assess from there. Otherwise known as walk before trying to run.

It's important to let your training staff know early on what your ambitions are.

They'll be sure to offer the right level of extra preparations required to help you reach your goals.

Unit or Formation tattoos are only for the most dedicated aspirants, but clothing bearing the logo/capbadge of choice is perfectly acceptable and warmly welcomed.

Good luck.

ChocksAway

Swinger

Thankyou for the straight forward reply it’s greatly appreciated, I’m not so bothered about going to the paras but just knew I’d like to attempt some time with the pathfinders and wanted to know if it was mandatory to be a para to do so.

Good luck. Try not to wish your time away too much, concentrate on the task in front of you

ChocksAway

Swinger
Well that's if you stay fit & do not knacker up the knee's with all the running, sorry I mean tabbing you will do?
A lot of young men come up with these great ideas and end up not succeeding in their attempts to join UKSF.

Training is brutal on both body & mind.
I’ll just have to hope the knees hold up

ChocksAway

Swinger
This is along the lines of what I was going to say, so I won't repeat it all as you've already covered it.

I see a lot of people writing in on here, saying they will transfer to this or that after they have joined. My question is, if you think you want to transfer, why not just do it (whatever it is) in the first place.
Asking for and securing a transfer isn't just a case of clicking your fingers at a time of your choice. Official and not-so-official obstacles may be put in your way. Or the vagaries of training might hinder you.

As for SF.....,get through basic first, get to a working unit and assess from there. Otherwise known as walk before trying to run.
I shall do, I just wanted to know if it was mandatory to be a para in order to join the path finders

Latest Threads