Transferring

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by DavidT1992, Apr 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright guys, currently I'm in Basic Training in ITC Catterick I'm 7 weeks in but I don't think Infantry is the job for me! I want to actually transfer after phase one in to Dog handling, would I be able to do that after completion of Phase one? Or is that I'm going to have to leave then wait?

2. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

There is no way you will be allowed to transfer to dog handler that easily. Prior to Phase 1 potential dog handlers have to go away with the RAVC and be assessed and there is avery large failure rate. If you haven't done this selection then you can't go dog handler.

What were your 2nd and 3rd choices when you went to selection? Remember you were only assessed for these. Even then the Infantry have to agree to lose you and there has to be a Phase 2 training space for the job you want to go to. If there is no Phase 2 training space then you aren't going.

I know this is pretty negative for you but I can't see why you are saying Infantry isn't for you and you are only at week 7 of Phase 1. This is the same as every soldier does regardless of capbadge and trade, as the next 7 weeks will be. You haven't done any Infantry specific training yet. If you are having doubts at this stage then DAOR is probably the best option and look at another career.

3. It's not about the phase 1 as its all pretty easy it's just looking at the long term of it all, i can't see myself doing it that's all. Why stick at something when it's depressing me thinking of it in the long run?

I thought dog handler didn't need any quals or any type of special prior inductions towards it?

4. From what I understand there is a huuuuuge waiting list for dog handlers. There was a lad at ADSC who has a shitload of experience working with animals and he only just got accepted for it. They'll probably see you wanting to transfer as a lack of commitment, you really should of researched your first job choice a lot more before starting.

5. Maybe it was the quickest way into the Army by going Infantry and OP thought he could jump a huge waiting list once he was in training?

Cynical, moi?

6. As SUP_REC pointed out Dog handler assessment is extremely hard as not many places to the 100's of applicants, I would say near impossible rather than not to easy.

Just remember the JOB OFFER letter you signed prior to enlistment that states you will only be able to change job once in if its for the benefit of the Army. This was introduced in April 2010 to counter what Syledis mentioned where people take a job to get in quicker wasting money and some one elses place at phase 1 training to jump the queue. You were made aware of this by your Recruiter, Senior Recruiter and the ADSO throughout the process and I agree with SUP-REC that if the job you were allocated isn't for you then DAOR.

7. You're probably feeling like you don't like the infantry because the training is tough, it's miserable, cold, tired, hungry, missing mummy etc but when I was in Catterick (a few years ago now), I also felt like I had doubts. I got my head down and cracked on with it and once I was in Battalion everything was different. After a few chewings and thrashings I knew I had made the right decision and loved it and they were the best years of my life. Just focus on day to day and get through it and after a couple of years maybe then think about transferring if you still want to.

i remember at the end of my phase 1 in Lichfield our new Platoon staff came for a visit before we moved up to Catterick. They put the fear of god into us and the Platoon commander said "gentlemen, you're about to enter the gates of hell". I was ready to sign off there and then...

8. To be fair you won't really know if the infantry (or any other regiment / corps I'd imagine?) is for you until you get to battalion.

We had a lad in our intake who transferred to RA in phase 2.

9. I was a dog handler for a bit. Tp Sgt came in the rest room, took his fag out of his gob and asked if anyone fancied being a dog handler? I said yeah, me... it's gotta be better than painting trucks, right?

3 week course at DASU (G) and bada bing. Dog handler.

10. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

But you weren't a phase 1 recruit. Also did you do the all arms course or transfer to the RAVC?