Transferring to the infantry need help

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by mac7778, Jun 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. Im currently emplyed in a technical trade but am unhappy with the job and the way my career is proggressing. Being young and foolish i am currently considering a transfer to the infantry but i need to know a few things first and dont want to burn any bridges by asking for info at my current unit.
    So.......

If i go to my RCMO for info and advice is it meant to be in confidence????

As im in a tech trade i expect i would drop rank if i transferred but would i drop pay aswell??? i have always been under the impression you would only lose pay due to a disclipinary issue and having a wife and 2 kids i couldnt really afford a drop down back to a lance jack or ptes pay.

Is there a set drop in rank i would have to make??? I.e full screw to lance jack or would i drop to pte???? (Wouldnt be overly fussed by this if i dint effect my pay just trying to gather info).

Would i go through catterick and do some of the course there as im well aware of the difference between an infantrymans skills and my own as a tradesman.??????

Any help would be gratly appreciated. Thanks

2. Macc, What cap badge are you first? As a Tech your either REME or Scaley.
    Both Corps offer you the chance to do something other than than trade stuff. Sigs offer Special forces Comms, loads of Inf stuff, keep your rank, extra pay, etc, etc,(think of wife and kid, they ARE your No1 priority!) you can also do this in REME and that has Cdo & Airborne Stuff as well.Otherwise, why not think about 4/73 Sp Ops Bty,5 Regt RA, any capbadge can apply and do a 2 year post with them, sneaky beaky stuff, some very good mil skills, enhanced CR, you will shine BIG TIME on return to normal Tech REMF world. You have the same chance as anyone else to do these things, I personally believe that a transfer to Infantry with a loss of rank and pay will see you more pissed off than you are now, as you will be a transferee competing against Regimental people for cadre's, promotion, courses etc. Knew of a Para Trained Recy Mech who re-badged to Meat & Veg,for some weird reason, only to be put into MT AND called a "Hat" everyday! He quickly came back to REME much the wiser.
    If you do fancy the Infantry thing, ask yourself if you just want a break from what you are doing now or if that is what you really want to do.I would personally explore some of the options I've mentioned above before going down that road.
    Hope this has helped in some way. :)

3. I appreciate what you are saying but part of the reason i want to transfer is to stop being posted around every 2 or 3 years to provide a bit of stability for my family. Are you sure i would incure a drop in pay???

Another reason is the para cdo thing only offers me the chance to get a badge but not nessecarily the chance to do the job. For instance going para would give a posting to 7AA bat. Im currently employed in a battalion and 2nd line work was what i was really hoping to avoid.

There just doesnt seem to be a place for someone of my trade to be a soldier and a tradesman at the moment.

4. Hello. Im currently emplyed in a technical trade but am unhappy with the job and the way my career is proggressing. Being young and foolish i am currently considering a transfer to the infantry but i need to know a few things first and dont want to burn any bridges by asking for info at my current unit.
    So.......

If i go to my RCMO for info and advice is it meant to be in confidence????

As im in a tech trade i expect i would drop rank if i transferred but would i drop pay aswell??? i have always been under the impression you would only lose pay due to a disclipinary issue and having a wife and 2 kids i couldnt really afford a drop down back to a lance jack or ptes pay.

Is there a set drop in rank i would have to make??? I.e full screw to lance jack or would i drop to pte???? (Wouldnt be overly fussed by this if i dint effect my pay just trying to gather info).

Would i go through catterick and do some of the course there as im well aware of the difference between an infantrymans skills and my own as a tradesman.??????

Any help would be gratly appreciated. Thanks

5. Will they allow you to transfer to Inf from a Tech Trade? Thye didn't used to allow it.

6. I don't think there is any doubt that you would lose your trade pay if you were in the infantry. Why should you be paid more than the bloke next to you just because you can do another job> He could probably also do another job but if the need/opportunity is not likely to arise I can't see the army (or any employer) paying you extra.

7. 4/73 might well still be worth a look. If you get in you will be based out of Catterick (except when on Ops obviously) and you don't have to go back after two years if you don't want to you can transfer in permanently.

They have recently been told to raise more patrols so now is a good time to try.

More info

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=40338/highlight=special.html

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=60279/highlight=special.html

8. I know of a couple of cases of people that have. I dont think its particularly approved of but it is possible im sure.

9. Trade pay???? theres no such thing.

I meant a drop in pay if i was to drop a rank!

10. As far as I know, you would stay on your current wage (with out increment raises) until eitehr your new trades wage caught up with your wage or two years (I think) had passed.

Not sure on rank, definitly drop if SNCO, to JNCO but not sure of the specifics. If JNCO you may get to keep your rank.

Why Infantry? Nothing else flick your switch that you could transfer your current skill set to rather than learning a whole new set?

Where are you? Why ar eyou bored?

11. Cheers bailey.

Will look into that

12. Why transfer. If you want to have more then choose something you can move to from your current capbade but may offer the chance to re-badge later.

SRR, THEM, Pathfinders for example. Any of these will give you enough mil stuff to last you a life time.

13. RLC AD, static, get's around and you can throw stuff out th eback of a plane.

or Sphinx.

If you are doing it to settle down what about the MPGS?

14. i would like to have a go at things like the SRR etc but being allowed to get away and do regular quality fizz is an issue. You get pretty short shrift if you slam your tabs in and ask for time off to get fizzed up.

The only way i can do it seems to be transfering unless im missing something.

15. Time away to do fizz?

Try 06:00 like I do.

If you want it you will have to sacrifice something.