Transferring to the infantry........I need help!

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by mac7778, Jun 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. Im currently emplyed in a technical trade but am unhappy with the job and the way my career is proggressing. Being young and foolish i am currently considering a transfer to the infantry but i need to know a few things first and dont want to burn any bridges by asking for info at my current unit.
    So.......

If i go to my RCMO for info and advice is it meant to be in confidence????

As im in a tech trade i expect i would drop rank if i transferred but would i drop pay aswell??? i have always been under the impression you would only lose pay due to a disclipinary issue and having a wife and 2 kids i couldnt really afford a drop down back to a lance jack or ptes pay.

Is there a set drop in rank i would have to make??? I.e full screw to lance jack or would i drop to pte???? (Wouldnt be overly fussed by this if i dint effect my pay just trying to gather info).

Would i go through catterick and do some of the course there as im well aware of the difference between an infantrymans skills and my own as a tradesman.??????

Any help would be gratly appreciated. Thanks

2. 1. If i go to my RCMO for info and advice is it meant to be in confidence????

Most definately; if you specify that you do not wish the contents of your conversation to be disclosed then the RCMO or any other officer is bound by that agreement - plenty go against this which is unforgivable (there are a couple of exceptions but this isn't one of them).

2. As im in a tech trade i expect i would drop rank if i transferred but would i drop pay aswell??? i have always been under the impression you would only lose pay due to a disclipinary issue and having a wife and 2 kids i couldnt really afford a drop down back to a lance jack or ptes pay.

You may not drop rank at all. If you are offered a position then it will be at the discretion of the MCM Div. They would balance this against availability at whatever rank, suitable probation and ability to fill that rank in your new role. As for pay you would assume the pay band of your new role but will never take a cut in pay.

3. Would i go through catterick and do some of the course there as im well aware of the difference between an infantrymans skills and my own as a tradesman.??????

I would imagine that the gaining MCM would look at your record as an individual and decide any criteria or courses that you need to fulfill.

I think you need to do a little research before you contact your RCMO. Please be aware that he or your unit do not have the right to refuse your application.

3. Thank you. Much appreiciated.

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

mac,

I believe the rule of thumb is that is possible to transfer across in your rank, but you have two years to qualify for that rank in your new post. So if you go across to a Section IC slot, you have a grace period to get your SCBC squared away. This is all of course, dependent on slots available, but with the new large Regt's, it might not be so much of a problem.

edited to add that in the above scenario, you'd more than likely be 'stepped down' to a Section 2IC role to see what you're made of.

5. One point-whilst your RCMO may agree to not pass on details to someone else, bear in mind that the only people who can GUARANTEE confidentiality are Padres and Doctors. In reality though, the RCMO should be able to offer you advice without needing to involve the CoC.

6. I would double check on the pay issue, it is your choice to transfer to a low band job, not the army's, and so they should drop you to the relevant band that the new trade is on.

7. It can be a lengthy transfer, are you in a pinch point trade? Infantry are on the same pay band as you so you may not get a pay drop. You will most definately have to do the Combat Infantry Course at ITC Catterick for 10 weeks. You can keep your current rank for a 2 year period as a mark of grace to get suitably qualified in your new CEG. RCMO will undoubtly let the CoC know, you need to bear in mind that you transferring will affect your current capbadge. It is up to them and MCM DIV.

8. I think you seriously need to think about what you are wanting to do, have you thought about changing trades?

9. DONT do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. another thing to be wary of although your unit cannot refuse your transfer(can only be refused if whole unit is warned for deployment) as previously stated, your coc may "lose" your paperwork or they may destroy it. i am speaking from bitter experience. best of luck in the infantry mate, i enjoyed my time with them

11. have you thought about having a go at getting a funny coloured hat? same trade maybe but perhaps more of what you want,different set of blokes and the course might help to clarify your thoughts? there's a few to choose from...just a suggestion.