Transferring to the Canadian Forces

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Bowmore_Assassin, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Does anyone have any info on how easy/difficult it is to transfer to the Canadian Army ? I have seen previous threads where it states you have to be a citizen etc but I have also heard that the Canadians were going to relax their rules to make it easier to transfer - something akin to the Australians 'come and join us party.' Does anyone have any definitive advice or a reality check they could give ?

2. I know of 1 lad who transferred from REs into Canadian Engineers came back to UK on 2 year exchange.

I will email him andf ask what the score is

3. Bowmore_Assassin

TVM. I look fwd to hearing from you. Is anyone else out there who is in the process or in the CF and knows what the latest info is ?

4. PM inbound when I get a chance. Very busy at work right now. Have transferred from RE's to Canadian Army. Sapperted I think I know who you are on about

5. cdn spr PM me please i need info as well ta mate

6. Bowmore_Assassin

cdn_spr - TVM.

7. Can't post a full reply just yet (still too busy, it'll be a long post) but I have e-mailed a mate in CF Recruiting to ask what the exact lowdown is for Brits to come across.

If everything goes right (should you decide to come across), it'll be like a posting, except you will de-kit one end and get issued everything again but in different DPM. In my case, it was a very seamless process, and this was as a lowly lance-jack.

keefers- will e-mail or facebook msg very soon, gotta go now

8. Ok, this is from the Canadian Forces Recruiting Website: www.forces.gc.ca

Information for Non-Canadian Citizens

Canadian Forces (CF) policy states that in order to be eligible for enrolment into the Forces, applicants must hold Canadian citizenship. The only exception made to this policy is as follows.

Applicants who: are not Canadian citizens, but do hold Permanent Resident Status; and possess specialized skills / qualifications the CF has need of and cannot fill with a Canadian citizen; and do not pose a risk to any national interest; may only be enrolled into the Canadian Forces if permission is granted by the Commander of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG).

Application Procedure for Non-
    Canadian Citizens

As you do not currently hold Canadian citizenship, you will have to be granted a Citizenship Waiver by the Commander of CFRG before starting any of the selection testing. In order to do this you must provide a curriculum vitae (CV) or resume to:

Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters
    Attention: SSO Selection
    Canadian Forces Base Borden
    PO Box 1000, Station Main
    Borden, Ontario L0M 1C0

The CV / resume should include:

Personal Information

Name (in full)
    Date and place of birth
    Brief outline of where you have lived (include dates)
    Where your immediate family is currently residing (include parent, siblings, spouse and parents-in-law)
    Reasons for your relocation to Canada
    Date of arrival in Canada and date, you were granted Permanent Resident Status

Education
    Name of all educational institutions attended
    Grade / Level completed and year of completion
    Diplomas / Degrees awarded
    Areas of specialization
    Marks / Grade Point Averages
    Apprenticeship / Journeyman qualifications

Employment
    List all part-time, summer or full-time employment positions you have held
    Dates for each position
    Brief description of duties for each position
    Qualifications or training you received â œon-the-jobâ ?

Activities

List all volunteer positions you may have held
    List all clubs / organizations / community groups you have belonged to
    If there are any other points, or pertinent facts you would like to include, please feel free to do so.
    Once you have submitted your CV / resume, it will be assessed by the Headquarters to determine what skills you possess that may be of benefit to the CF. Once this assessment has been completed you will be contacted directly and told whether or not a waiver of your citizenship has been granted. You will not undergo any of the selection testing until you have been granted this Citizenship Waiver.
    [hr]

Another option is to contact the Canadian Defence Attache at the Canadian High Commission in London.

Anyone with real interest can PM me via this site, I have heard back from my contact who is happy to advise people on their specific situation.

9. Bowmore_Assassin

cdn_spr - TVM. As I thought I need to gain Permanent Resident Status. I need to look into that but I might try the Def Attache first. Thanks for the advice.

10. I have an application in with the CFRG as we speak. I went on-line and had a live chat with a recruiter a few weeks ago, explained that I was a serving UK soldier and they sent me the attached document.

The key point is that although you need residency to enlist you don't necessarily need it to apply (Step #2 below):

Step #2

Permanent Residency aside, if you wish to join the CF we need to determine
    whether or not the Managing Authority of the occupation in question is interested.
    In order to do this, you must email a CV (resumé) and cover letter to
    jobs@forces.ca (they must be sent as attachments to your email in either MS
    Word or pdf formats). Your submission should clearly indicate which CF
    occupation you are applying for and highlight any military experience relevant to
    that occupation.

Attached Files:

11. Reference my previous post with the attached guide - my PLA has been done and the CF have now come back to me with an answer. I've been provisionally accepted and offered a place along with a choice of 3 postings. It's only been 3 1/2 months since I submitted my initial application so pretty quick really. I still have to be granted PR before I can physically enlist, so I submitted my immigration application about 3-weeks ago. I will also have to go through the regular recruiting process in the meantime, i.e. medicals, CFAT, security checks, interview etc. I'm located in the UK so there's not a necessity to be 'landed' in Canada in order to apply if you're foreign mil. Finally, I can't enlist into the CF until I have physically left the UK forces - there is no such thing as a transfer.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I applied for a 'distressed' trade so that might have made a difference?

12. Any up dates on canada yet of anyone process??

13. I'm now in my last 18-months in the UK mil. I've been accepted into the CF - I have a 'waiver of citizenship' letter and an 'arranged employment letter.' I'm through the first stage of immigration and my paperwork is now at the Canadian High Commission London for stage 2 full processing. I am expecting to get called forward for immigration medicals within the next couple of months. After that it will be a trip to Toronto to meet my recruiter and do the CFAT, interview and medical.

14. can any body help want to transfer to canadian Engineers,wife and kids all already there, crane op by trade and want to stay engineers, can any body please help me

15. hi dear, i found this place to be very informative and helpful. can you please help me out with the information about transferring from Bangladesh to Canadian Forces. thanks