Transferring to the Australian Army

Are you sure you lads want to come here? Come over for a couple of months before making a decision. It's pretty shit here.
Mate, it's all about choosing the relative level of shittiness you would like to live in. Every country has plenty of shit in it, just need to figure out which one makes you feel less shittier.

You in ADF Bushmills? Whats the military culture like. Is there a rigid delineation amongst ranks. Do you have a lot of the authoritarian type? Yeh I get you though.

It's not all awesome down here. They are a special breed. I have met more ******* in this Army than I did in 23 years in the British Army (may be down to age). They can be totally **** over the tiniest thing, lacing boots for example, yet look at you very strangely for marching into the RSMs office!!
Be prepared for a lot of jealousy because you've been 'given' rank, and also expect to be messed about for years. I have had to fight for courses that were essential for my trade, which also stopped me being paid my full wage.

Not all bad though, I've only had to give them 3 years service, although that felt like a lifetime, before now moving to a civ job. They pay for your entire move over and citizenship for all the family (takes approx 12 months all in).

Just come with your eyes open as to how it can be. It's not exactly how it's painted at the interviews.

weegwa

Old-Salt
Hi mate, sorry it wasn’t for you. After 20 years uk (both RM and uk Army), I’ve had a really good 10 years in the ADF. As you’ve quite rightly pointed out, make sure you’re making the right move for yourself and your family. It’s pretty much trade specific (like any job) and it looks like I’ve been lucky. Ps... I laughed at them about the lacing of boots. Yes they can get anale about dumb shite.

Hi,

so i'm really interested in transferring across as i am currently serving in the British Army. i just have a couple of questions that i am having difficulty in finding answers to. I have seen on here that there are a few people on here with a lot of knowledge so hopefully i can get some answers here.

1) what is it like to take family over with you with military housing etc. does the ADF provide housing like our army does or are there other schemes available?

2) I have my heavy goods licence and qualified to drive STGO cat 3 on UK roads (largest catagory) and my wife is a qualified Dental Nurse and i have been told these are 2 qualifications that give you a good chance in being accepted for transfer.

3) how hard is it to get pets across

4) if accepted can i use my final move in the British army to have my belongings put into freight and transported across?

5) are there any other avenues to get into contact with the department dealing with transfers as the website i have been directed too is currently down and has been for a few weeks

any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

so i'm really interested in transferring across as i am currently serving in the British Army. i just have a couple of questions that i am having difficulty in finding answers to. I have seen on here that there are a few people on here with a lot of knowledge so hopefully i can get some answers here.

1) what is it like to take family over with you with military housing etc. does the ADF provide housing like our army does or are there other schemes available?

2) I have my heavy goods licence and qualified to drive STGO cat 3 on UK roads (largest catagory) and my wife is a qualified Dental Nurse and i have been told these are 2 qualifications that give you a good chance in being accepted for transfer.

3) how hard is it to get pets across

4) if accepted can i use my final move in the British army to have my belongings put into freight and transported across?

5) are there any other avenues to get into contact with the department dealing with transfers as the website i have been directed too is currently down and has been for a few weeks

any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.
It's all really easy when it all comes into place.

1. ADF do provide housing but you have to pay for it. It's a bit more expensive than UK military housing but is is far superior and still cheaper than the Civ rate.

2. All of the trades and pinch point roles are listed on the OLTS website. Drivers are always good to come over if that is your trade. Be prepared to do all of your licenses again though. After driving Landrovers for over 20 years, I was still not able to drive one of the few Landrovers left here when I first started. It's just their way and you need to accept it.

3. It's fairly easy to get pets over. We brought our dog with us. You need to plan about 7 months prior to get all of the necessary jabs and checks done, choose a good pet relocation company and be prepared to pay a fortune. Our dog was part of the family so it didn't matter to us about the cost, it does for others though.

4. The Oz Army pay for your entire move across from the UK. At present that includes Business Class flights for you and your family to Australia, Stop overs etc.

5. If the website is down or they're not accepting any expressions of interest then they are probably on a hold for a bit. It happens every few years. There is a really good FaceBook group called 'Aussie OLT's on Facebook'.
Closed group so you need to ask to join but plenty of really good info.

Pretty much, yes. But the difference is you can't just walk away from this one because they lied about terms and conditions....
That's a great help thank you, I don't suppose you've heard if theres a minimum rank do you? im a tank transporter by trade so hopefully that will help me out as at the moment im only a selected LCPL

Latest Threads