Transferring to the Australian Army

Discussion in 'Australia' started by KnightsofRowallan, Jan 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It would seem that I am coming across an increasing number of officers who are, upping stumps and off to Australia for Tea and cakes.
    They are mostly Logistics Officers (like myself), & mainly Captains. Wondered if I was missing out on something.

I am interested in investigating this option, however anyone know of the pros and cons of Transferring?
    Whats the TOS like? Pay, quartering etc. Can you transfer pensionable service?

Whats it like living in australia? I may have watched "a place down under" a few times but whats the lifestyle really like?
    I've not come across any Australian Army officers in here yet.

Any sensible info would be greatly appreciated.

(No Aussie baiting please chaps)

(I know it has a G4 offr bias, But I didn't want to put this in the RLC forum as I felt I might get a better response here.)
  2. Suggest you contact the Aussie High Commission and speak to their MA. They are pretty well versed in the ways and means of transferring, and will be able to give you the correct picture - re vacancies. Just don't burn your bridges in the UK before you arrive in Aus, know a chap who was almost packed and good to go, but failed his medical.

You could also try the Kiwis - they're not a bad bunch either, and you could fit in equally well there.
  3. What, with everything going so well in the British Army? Why would you want to give that up, you know the ace terms and conditions and the prospect of working with people like Vanya Slivovitz? Or are you naturally apprehensive about the prospect of the impending pointless Operation CERTAIN DEATH in Buttfu*kistan?
  4. Scran, there's nothing wrong with The British Army. Its just that I don't want to eat Cheerios for breakfast. I'm guessing its Cheerios that Vanya collected the coupons from to get herself on the BL. Thats or shes been sucking something else down her throat. Either way, I'm far more fussy about what I put in my mouth. Or anywhere else to that end. ;-)

I know the Australian MA is the proper way forward. Just wondered if I could get any instant relief here!!
    I did hear that the Aussies had a recruiting team arrive in the UK. Apparently they used to take about 10 pax a year, but are now accepting a few more.
  5. Hmm...interesting!
  7. Any chance of you moving to Oz? So you can make like the Chamberlain baby and get eaten by Dingos? :twisted:

Now bugger off and stop trying to ruin half decent threads.
  8. I did it the other way; Aussie Army to Brit Army. Now retired back in Aussie land. Although I'm out of the current loop in the Aussie Army I can make a number of observations. If you want more detail PM me.

To start with you need to ask yourself why you might want to switch Armies (Career, promotion, pay, lifestyle, as a step to Civvie, etc).

Career. Be aware you would be changing from a large Army (35 Inf Bns) to a small Army (5 Inf Bns) career opportunities are there but not on the scale of the UK. You could argue that the competition is even harder. Although the Aus Army is starting to see more operational service now it is more of support ops rather than direct fighting ops. They just don't have the numbers. The Aus Govt has just announced an expansion of the Army by a couple of thousand but this will make little difference. It is a low intensity ops Army.

Promotion. Much the same as UK.

Pay. Be careful here as pay is directly related to standard of living and cost of living. I strongly suggest a lot of research on cost of living comparisons. A trip to Australia House in the Strand, London is well worth it. There is a locally produced mag for people thinking of emigrating and it lists monthly cost of living comparators (bread, beer, houses, cars, train travel, etc). Also, even if yuo do shift over check out the impact of transfering your UK Army pension and take into account the exchange rates.

Lifestyle. There are lots of trade-offs here. Are you married? Kids? What do they want. This is a great country with incredible oportunity however it is also a long way from Mrs KnightsofRowallan's family and friends. Equally two-thirds of the Aussie Army are based in the Northern half of Australia, Brisbane, Townsville and Darwin. The last two are hot, damn hot, and remote from the rest of Aus. So just having access to hot sunny beaches may not be enough.

Step to civvie life. Do three years service retire with citizenship? Why not?

Not trying to talk you out of it but there are many things to consider not the least the impact on your family. If you are a singleton it makes it dramatically less complicated.

Good luck

9. KnightsofRowallan

I am in the process of transfering to the Australian Army, and all going well will be starting with them Jul 06.

The process is quite simple but involves a fair amount of paperwork. It all started, for me with an e mail to the desk Sgt for Lateral Recruitment. The response I recieved, shown below, served as a good indication of the overall process. The package they offer is very comprehensive and makes it worth considering. There are few loggies in the process currently and few who have recently moved if you want anymore info just pm me and I'll do my best to give you all the facts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Compare the proactive Aus approach above with the Canadian "Cut our noses off to spite our faces, eh?" approach: (from the CF recruiting website)

To be eligible for consideration for the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following minimal conditions:

* be a Canadian citizen;
    o Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

and so on.

Add to that losing a rank for Officers and, no matter what seniority you are given, getting less leave than your peers for 5 years. No wonder, if you are a journeyman soldier, Aus looks most attractive!

If you want to live in Canada though, it's all worth it!

Bottom line - you now (only within last 2 years) have to immigrate before even applying. Even then you still require a shed load of time for all the incredibly slow CF processes and paperwork to be completed (incl no less than 2 CDS level waivers)-probably at least 18 months.
  11. I am also in the process of applying and eagerly await the interview stage, if Iam not successful then so be it but at least I would have tried, if I do get offered a position then WAHEEEEEY!

I have spoken with several people who are currently out there and one in particular who made the transition 3 years ago, he certainly has no regrets and finds that the system takes better care of its servicemen and if deployed on an Op tour then you will come home with considerable more money than with the British Army, Can't be a bad thing!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  12. Thanks to those who have pointed me in the right direction. I now know how to transfer, what the ADF (according to their website) looks like and who and where they are. Chuff me, I thought Catterick and BATUS where in the middle of no-where , then I saw DARWIN. Fcuk me!!!

I now even have a book about emigrating and a Lonely Planet guide so I now know a bit about the country.
    So here's my next question. Why are people transferring? Is it really that good? Is it worth taking a 12 grand pay cut and sacking my pension?
    I know the cost of living is meant to be cheaper and quality of life better, but is it really.
    My main motivation for transferring is not to command a Regt. For me its about quality of life. So the 64 million dollar question. I've heard and read the hype, but is it really true?
    Does the ADF help with house purchase, or do I have to continue living in Sh1tty quarters? How long are postings. Will it be more of the same but with better weather? I need the truth, even if I can't handle it.
  13. Fancinating thread this...

Rest assued Knight of Rowallan that there are a stack load of others waiting for the response to your last question.
    Is it as good as they say it is....given that your motivation is quality of life not glittering career?

Good luck.