Transferring to the Army Welfare Service

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Range_Paste, May 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,

After nearly 15 years in the RLC I am currently considering the prospect of a transfer to the AWS. I am in a trade which is rapidly dying on it's arse (postal) with very few hopes for promotion and little to no job satisfaction; I have therefore decided that my final 7 years (9 with VENG) would be best served elsewhere. I have been doing a lot of community volunteer work for SSAFA for the last few years, so this seems like a logical and worthwhile career path to embark upon.

I've had a brief chat with an AWS WO1 over the phone about the criteria for joining, transfer dates, etc, and I have been told that the date for transferring will be May next year, so plenty of time to research this properly and decide whether to make the jump or not. I've got a couple of questions I'd like to ask of those in the know, the answers to which will no doubt differ vastly to the official party line. In no particular order...

1. Promotion - I've heard there's only 80-odd AWS personnel currently serving - is it dead man's shoes? What's the average time scale for promotion between each rank?

2. Postings - it stands to reason that the AWS will be found wherever the army is serving. Is there a particular region that AWS centres around, or is it an even spread across UK/BFG? Outside of these two areas do they serve anywhere else such as BATUK, BATSUB, etc?

3. Deployments - does the AWS fulfil a role on current ops? If so, what is the turnaround time between deployments?

4. Education - Does the AWS have an educational path to a similar role in civvy street? If so what courses/quals can AWS personnel achieve whilst still serving?

5. Job variety - What alternative roles do AWS personnel fulfil, if any?

6. Is AWS higher or lower pay band?

If anyone has anything else worthwhile to mention about the AWS then please do so, however trivial it may seem.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Just out of curiousity, was there any reason why (as you have'nt stated otherwise) you did'nt ask for a possible further follow up call to discuss points 1-6 with the same WO, afterall the current staff would have recent sitrep on subject knowledge on these matters?

Lastly is AWS your only preference considering your already commited to volunteer work?
  3. It was a rather off the cuff thing - my boss phoned the WO1 in question (they already knew each other) and called me in for a quick chat. I was a bit unprepared for the call, and only ended up asking the first one or two questions that popped into my head. I obviously intend to follow up these questions in person, but thought I'd throw them to the floor on here first.

My volunteer work has always had to play second fiddle to my job, meaning I can't always devote as much time to it as I'd like. Over the years I have had to cancel appointments with service users and miss committee meetings at short notice, which is bloody infuriating. If the AWS role is similar to what I'm already doing then I'd like to take it up full time, so I suppose it's my only preference, yes.

4. Well once you've carried out your research, weighed up your options and asked further questions i guess you'll know yourself if this move would be a career benefiical one or not BUT you'll know there are plenty of 'dead man posts' lurking out there, sounds like you were caught 'off guard' on this fastball situation which is fair enough as we've all been there at some point, IMO if i had the opportunity i would visit a few location offices to attempt to get a wider prospective basically getting 2nd & 3rd views from staff personnel on the ground,

As for awaiting further replies from the floor, well time will tell if any other feedback is forthcoming, good luck either way R_P