Transferring to Parachute Regiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the Parachute Regiment are actively recruiting at Pte level from wihin the Army? If anyone has a POC that may be able to give me some advice with the transfer that would be great.

Thanks.

Z

Zarathustra

What regiment are you in at the moment? I know several people who've transferred to the Paras, all but one had already served with the Guards Independent Parachute Platoon before making the move across.

If any Paras are reading this, I was told a Sgt (REME I think) had passed the AAPC (not sure where in his career) and transfered as a Sgt into the paras? Is this possible?

Royal Engineers crow_bag, So with your last in mind you think it shouldn't be too much of a problem? I can imagine PRAC is a definate too unless I am mistaken?

Yup, will do when I get back to Unit, thanks anyway crow bag.

If any Paras are reading this, I was told a Sgt (REME I think) had passed the AAPC (not sure where in his career) and transfered as a Sgt into the paras? Is this possible?

I've seen many REME SNCOs pass the courses & posted on to Bn strength.....But as REME not as REGT.
It is possible......but I've never heard of a REME bloke going that way!

A name....could be checked out!

I know a Slop Jockey who had his wings, & he went 7RHA as ARTY not hotplate flunkey!

A REME Crafty did the same from my unit a few years back. As Gungy states, he had to go to CIC and joined a Para Plt at about (but don't quote me) week 16. IIRC.

You will do bits of basic again, because either the Combat Infantryman Course or the Para course (CIC and P Coy) layout doesn't provide a clean cut between ph1 and 2. But it shouldn't be a drama.

I've seen many REME SNCOs pass the courses & posted on to Bn strength.....But as REME not as REGT.
It is possible......but I've never heard of a REME bloke going that way!

A name....could be checked out!

I know a Slop Jockey who had his wings, & he went 7RHA as ARTY not hotplate flunkey!
I've forgot the name it was ages ago, someone else (Who had done the AAPC) told me about it, he said he wasnt popular because he took a promotion away from someone who had been in from the start.
I just wondered if its possible or even likely. I know you can't join the booties unless you do the proper RMC course (or you have the abilty to suck a football through a garden hose).

Z

Zarathustra

I know a R.SIGS guy who transferred to Para Regt, as Gungy said, he went to ITC(C) and completed PCoy, not sure if he had to do the entire CIC or joined a Plt at some point through the course.

No. He would most likely revert to corporal (but keeping Sgt pay) and with a little infantry experience under his belt be loaded onto PSBC.

I've forgot the name it was ages ago, someone else (Who had done the AAPC) told me about it, he said he wasnt popular because he took a promotion away from someone who had been in from the start.
I just wondered if its possible or even likely. I know you can't join the booties unless you do the proper RMC course (or you have the abilty to suck a football through a garden hose).
Never heard of that one. I would have thought that it is highly unlikely that at Sgt level the REME guy would have been qualified to do an infantry job (Juniors and Seniors being a requirement in my day for any Sgt).

I did know a guy who was a REME JNCO attached to 2 PARA who was later commissioned into the Parachute Regiment.

Never heard of that one. I would have thought that it is highly unlikely that at Sgt level the REME guy would have been qualified to do an infantry job (Juniors and Seniors being a requirement in my day for any Sgt).

I did know a guy who was a REME JNCO attached to 2 PARA who was later commissioned into the Parachute Regiment.
It was only a story told to me (Although the bloke telling to me wasnt a bullshitter), its possible he got the ranks mistaken although he said the bloke got a hard time because he took someone else place.
I was just curious to know if the paras allowed tranfers (above toms)

I can confirm a REME Sgt from our LAD DID re-cap badge to 2 PARA after we moved to Colchester, he was qualified AAPC and became Provost Sgt and I believe he is still in.

I can confirm a REME Sgt from our LAD DID re-cap badge to 2 PARA after we moved to Colchester, he was qualified AAPC and became Provost Sgt and I believe he is still in.
Fair enough, but surely it must have limited his options for promotion and the Regt's options for moving him to another job? It would be rather like an infantry Sgt moving to a Corps in a generic post and then trying to move upwards or sideways into a jobs in which he was unqualified or inexperienced, or both.

I'm not sure of the exact ins and outs but I know he wasn't allowed to do a Pl Sgt job, he was the LAD SNCO one week and Para Regt Cap badge the next, however there was plenty of scope within the Bn for other posts without having to do Senior Brecon, QMs Dept, Int SNCO, HQ Coy, Trng Wing etc. He was an alright bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bigbadjimmyp Int Corps 26
T Int Corps 2
T Int Corps 4