Transferring to Communcations Systems Operator

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Get_me_out_of_here, Jun 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all

Wonder if any one could help me answering few questions I got I am thinking of transferring trade to Communication Systems Operator.
    How long would it take to transfer to this trade?
    Would I need to do Technical selection test?
    Is this trade at pinch point one?
    What’s this trade like I been on the Army website but what’s the trade really like?

I know I should be asking my RCMO questions like this but he very busy like most RCMO

2. You need to know how to use the word have to be a CS Op.

3. what trade are you now if you don't mind me asking?

4. Driver trade would that matter?

5. well depending if you are thick as a whale's omlette like me, it might :)

6. An OMELETTE belonging to a whale, I see what you mean. :D

7. Cheers for the helpfull advice 8O ...Been looking at the TST online does not seam to be that bad few things I need to refresh in my menory tho.

8. Have you considered CS Engineer? As a CS Op you are likely to spend most of your time in a wagon listening to a radio but not actually operating it. The staff officer in you vehicle will be doing the talking, not you. Unless you are on a rebro.

9. There is currently a major lull (pan Army) in transfers at the moment, bearing in mind the Army is nearly 99.8% manned and there is a Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR) imminent.

In our current climate, in order to warrant a CCE you will need to be exceptional, have something to offer our Corps to make you stand out amongst our already high quality CS Ops.

I would argue that your RCMO is too busy, he is there to advise you on your current and future career options, obviously post adressing your immediate chain of command on the pursuit of a transfer.

Just knock his door and ask for a chat.

Good luck!!

10. dan

dan

Apologies for butting in but what would be the chances of a new recruit getting a position of a CSE?
    Based on your above point what would be treated as exceptional skills for this post. Would anything in Cisco networking count or would the Corps require more substantial skills/experience ?
    What would an exceptional candidate need to bring to the table?

11. dan

dan

Thanks for the welcome.
    The above certainly makes logical sense but i didn't want to make any assumptions. To continue on the same theme, are there positions available as a CSE within the signals or is the role fully manned? It would seem that this role is well sought after. If it isn't fully manned is there any thing that would make a new recruit stand out from the crowd?
    Thanks in advance

12. If you are serious about transferring then you will be resourceful enough to find out the number of the SPSO (Senior Personnel Selection Officer) R SIGNALS based at HQ SOinC(A) in Blandford. Rather than having to sift out the wheat from the chaff on a web forum, a 10 minute phonecall might be a more sensible option.

13. Following on from that, I don't think the SPSO has a page on the SOinC(A) website, but if there was such a page, it might be a useful way of either advertising vacancies in the Corps, or deterring those who are unlikely to "fit".

14. i have changed trades into the gloriuos CSE and have never looked back, it was easy to CCE just speak to the RCMO and if you bring the right attribute then i am sure that you will be fine. GOOD LUCK