Transferring to a different Role

Hello, I have recently been attested as a reservist and I chose Infantry when I applied. I have since taken an interest in the signals as it is a technical role and before I joined I gained 3 years of experience with 12 different computer programming languages and now I am currently studying for a degree in chemistry so I feel a role within the signals would suit me better than to be a rifleman. Is it possible to transfer to signals now that I have been attested as infantry? I am about to begin my phase one training and I want to know if I can change to signals before I hit the point of no return. Thank you in advance. John

That's fine, I'm not hiding who I am from the army. I'm hiding on this site from anyone else who googles my real name. However, are you able to answer my question?

supermark500

War Hero
If you'd rather do a signals job rather than infantry then go for it. Or go infantry and do comms in that. Talk to the units that you are interested in and then make your decision.

Personally I found my 5 years in the signals to be rather dull. Lots of serial number checks, scrubbing tent pegs and sweeping garages. But there was quick promotion. It all comes down to what you want out of a reserves career.

aberspr

Old-Salt
Another thing to consider is that you'll still have to do phase 1 in the signals so it might be worth getting your training done with the infantry as it might be quicker than if you transfer and then do it. Also you haven't given the infantry a proper go yet, you might find you like it.

Additionally if you're a cyber ninja type rather than joining a traditional signals unit the Joint Cyber Reserve might flick your switch if you've got appropriate skills. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/joint-forces-command/about/recruitment.

Sorry, if I'm reviving a bit of a dead thread here, but i could do with some advice. like the lad at the top i chose the infantry, only unlike him i didn't have the brains to take the warnings i wouldn't like it and i completed training and have been posted to my unit. like the idiot i am I've finally decided to do something about it.

Without going on too long basically I'm in my 2nd week of my posting and really wanting a transfer, i did attempt to move to the royal signals back during phase 1 but my plt sgt made it his life goal to make it as hard a process as possible for everyone. Anyway, i came from civvie street with previous experience in IT and the quals to go with it and i do enjoy it so i have my reasons for wanting into the signals (i was thinking CS engineer)

I got told numerous times I'd hate being in the infantry and a trade was right for me, wish I'd of listened now... anyway i was wondering is it too late to transfer? who do i talk to? Should i wait a while before i go about it? Any information is appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sorry, if I'm reviving a bit of a dead thread here, but i could do with some advice. like the lad at the top i chose the infantry, only unlike him i didn't have the brains to take the warnings i wouldn't like it and i completed training and have been posted to my unit. like the idiot i am I've finally decided to do something about it.

Without going on too long basically I'm in my 2nd week of my posting and really wanting a transfer, i did attempt to move to the royal signals back during phase 1 but my plt sgt made it his life goal to make it as hard a process as possible for everyone. Anyway, i came from civvie street with previous experience in IT and the quals to go with it and i do enjoy it so i have my reasons for wanting into the signals (i was thinking CS engineer)

I got told numerous times I'd hate being in the infantry and a trade was right for me, wish I'd of listened now... anyway i was wondering is it too late to transfer? who do i talk to? Should i wait a while before i go about it? Any information is appreciated.

Many thanks.
Just to clarify, are you reg or reserve?

Latest Threads