Transferring to 47 Regiment- Advice please?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by young_lofty, Jul 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all. I'll try and get to the point with this, forgive me if I fail!

Basically, I am currently a corporal in an RAC regiment based in Germany. I want a change of career as I'm not happy what I'm doing but don't want to leave the Army, and at the moment I feel pretty certain that 47 Regiment is it. I am a southerner myself, and my fiancee lives on the south coast, so the location is ideal for starters, but also the job.
    I am tired of both Germany and Challenger 2, which I am due to return to, and need a change in my life. I feel that I have skills that could be transferable (all Bowman'ed up, signals repair NCO, recce commander- fully qual'd on CVRT, the usual op experience), and that the move to a nil arms plot unit would be best for the stability of both myself and my family.

I was wondering, how would the transfer process affect pay and rank? As I said, I am a corporal, and as a commander I sit on the higher band pay scale- if I were to transfer, what would the chances be of me keeping my substansive rank, and what pay scale does a bombardier in 47 sit on?
    If my transfer was successful, are trade courses done at regimental level, or would I be looking at getting papped off to a phase 2 ATR?
    Finally, and most importantly of all, are 47 regiment actually accepting transferees, or is manning to such a level that they are not? No wah, honest! :wink:

Thanks for any responses from any gunners, and in particular to any members of 47 who may be able to PM me with any info/ advice.

2. Just PMd you
  3. Bloody hell you get everywhere :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

End of mission AG
  4. 12 Regt are co-located with 47 now and are basically the same...
  5. Appreciated, thankyou!
  6. Well, you know how it is- got to build up the int before commiting to a plan :wink:
  7. I was aware they were at the same location, but I thought that their job was identical to that of 47 regt.
    Other than the regiments numbers, are there any major differences between the two? Have they both taken on MUAV as a tertiary task, or is that only 47 regt?
  8. I'm in a similar situation myself, currently serving in the RMP in Germany ex TA rapier gunner wanting to move accross to 16 Regt RA, how will this affect my rank and pay?
  9. I don't know about whether 12 Regt have MUAV as well, but I suspect they do - not much call for the Stormers at the moment.
  10. are you ex 265 or 269
  11. So let me understand you a little more clearly, as I am a dim and simple sort of bear...

You were a TA Rapier person (no-one's perfect), who then joined the Regulars (good lad) and went RMP (clearly bright as well); are now in Germany and you want to come back to the UK and are actually seriously thinking of joining an Air Defence Regiment?

I need to go and have a lie down somewhere cool and shady for a bit.
  12. 47 Regt have MUAV role until Apr 09, then responsibility shifts to 12 Regt for 3 tour rotations. After that, who knows.
  13. Thanks for that, clears things up a little for me.
  14. Thanks for all the help you gave me guys, sorry I've been so long getting back on this!
    I did a lot more digging around, speaking to different people from the regiment, phonecalls and emails, and my mind is all made up.

My paperwork has all gone in, first choice is 47 and second choice is 12, and it is getting put to the RAC desk this Monday coming, by hand.
    Hopefully not too long before I hear some news back from that!
    I'll keep you updated as to how I get on.
  15. Dutch,

You will probably be assigned to 12 as they are the main manning effort with MUAV ops starting in Apr 09. The MUAV orbat is JNCO heavy so I am sure you will be snapped up. Both Regts tend to backfill each other and 12 are rather more strapped than 47 for manning after their move from Germany.

Good luck,