Transferring - the right way to do it?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by usmarox, Jul 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Some time ago I was thinking of transferring to another unit. Not done much down that route since, but I've got to thinking about it again and I could do with some advice.

I'm still very sproggy - just coming to the end of my 1b weekends in August, so I'll still have to do my 2 weeks after that. Here's where the problem starts.

In this day and age of reduced budgets, tighter MTDs and all that, I have trouble - in good faith - getting myself booked onto a 1c course on the budget of a unit I'm thinking of leaving. I haven't raised the issue with the CoC yet, but I'm sure it'll come up.

Also, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to explain my reasons for wanting to leave. Partly, I think my target unit's trade offers a better match for my (ahem) modest talents, and partly it's about potential mobilisation role. The bottom line is that I'm happy to be mobilised, but if I am, I want to go and do my trade - or something a lot like it, and in my current unit opportunities seem very limited.

Also I worry about trying to justify all of this from the point of view of 5 months in the TA. You might argue - and be right - that I can't make an informed judgement because I know the square root of frak all. Of course, any potential recruit coming in off the street has that problem, but still...

I don't dislike the personalities in the unit at all, and by all accounts I seem to have missed most of the admin nightmares new TA recruits seem to suffer with (attested in Feb - paycheck as soon as JPA switchover was complete!), but I think I'd be better off elsewhere.

Obviously there's no DS answer to all of this, but your experiences could prove a benefit, and I'd be glad to hear your opinions.