Transferring - the right way to do it?

Hi all,

Some time ago I was thinking of transferring to another unit. Not done much down that route since, but I've got to thinking about it again and I could do with some advice.

I'm still very sproggy - just coming to the end of my 1b weekends in August, so I'll still have to do my 2 weeks after that. Here's where the problem starts.

In this day and age of reduced budgets, tighter MTDs and all that, I have trouble - in good faith - getting myself booked onto a 1c course on the budget of a unit I'm thinking of leaving. I haven't raised the issue with the CoC yet, but I'm sure it'll come up.

Also, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to explain my reasons for wanting to leave. Partly, I think my target unit's trade offers a better match for my (ahem) modest talents, and partly it's about potential mobilisation role. The bottom line is that I'm happy to be mobilised, but if I am, I want to go and do my trade - or something a lot like it, and in my current unit opportunities seem very limited.

Also I worry about trying to justify all of this from the point of view of 5 months in the TA. You might argue - and be right - that I can't make an informed judgement because I know the square root of frak all. Of course, any potential recruit coming in off the street has that problem, but still...

I don't dislike the personalities in the unit at all, and by all accounts I seem to have missed most of the admin nightmares new TA recruits seem to suffer with (attested in Feb - paycheck as soon as JPA switchover was complete!), but I think I'd be better off elsewhere.

Obviously there's no DS answer to all of this, but your experiences could prove a benefit, and I'd be glad to hear your opinions.

Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F REME 16
T Int Corps 2
T Int Corps 4