Transferring or leaving the Reserves - advice needed (semi serious post)

This is my first post, and I’m not sure if this is the right thread, but I’m hoping to get some advice.

I have been in the Reserves for four years now, and at the moment I am debating if it’s worth it. I enjoy the weekends and the time in the field, but there seems to be no social side at my unit at all. On some parade nights, I can spend the whole night without anyone talking to/engaging with me. Hardly anyone attends, usually 6 or 7 not including seniors, and I am the only female regular attendee. There are no female officers or SNCOs, and I am pretty much the only female JNCO – bearing in mind Im not in a predominantly male cap badge. Some of the girls who used to be there have left due to sexual harassment at the unit, and I don’t really feel like I have anyone to talk to. Most of the time, it feels like new recruits and pretty much any females are not really wanted there and Im getting to a point where I wonder what the point of going is. There seems to be a clique of ex reg, ex infantry seniors who just aren’t interested in accepting new people so the social side is non-existent. I joined to serve my country and for good banter, but going there now is just sad.

My choices are either to stick with this unit, move to another unit or move cap badge, but Im not sure if this is just how it is across the board. Friends at other units don’t seem to have these issues, the boundaries seem a lot clearer and the units have socials etc. Any advice?

If you know anyone at other units, talk to them about a transfer. Bear in mid the grass isn't always greener, and maybe consider if the cold shoulder has anything to do with you?

Does sound like a rather toxic unit, unfortunately, with a weak CoC if sexual harassment is allowed to flourish unchecked.

This is my first post, and I’m not sure if this is the right thread, but I’m hoping to get some advice.

I have been in the Reserves for four years now, and at the moment I am debating if it’s worth it. I enjoy the weekends and the time in the field, but there seems to be no social side at my unit at all. On some parade nights, I can spend the whole night without anyone talking to/engaging with me. Hardly anyone attends, usually 6 or 7 not including seniors, and I am the only female regular attendee. There are no female officers or SNCOs, and I am pretty much the only female JNCO – bearing in mind Im not in a predominantly male cap badge. Some of the girls who used to be there have left due to sexual harassment at the unit, and I don’t really feel like I have anyone to talk to. Most of the time, it feels like new recruits and pretty much any females are not really wanted there and Im getting to a point where I wonder what the point of going is. There seems to be a clique of ex reg, ex infantry seniors who just aren’t interested in accepting new people so the social side is non-existent. I joined to serve my country and for good banter, but going there now is just sad.

My choices are either to stick with this unit, move to another unit or move cap badge, but Im not sure if this is just how it is across the board. Friends at other units don’t seem to have these issues, the boundaries seem a lot clearer and the units have socials etc. Any advice?
If genuinely enjoy the weekends etc you should defeinitely not leave the reserves and look at transferring.

We all have times when our mojo takes a hit, I remember being close to jacking it in 3-4 years ago and it was followed by a blinding couple of years.

However in your case the stuff about sexual harassment and attitudes to female soldiers seems more than a bit concerning.

I’d have a word with your mates in other units, perhaps on the quiet. A low key trip to a drill night might give you the chance to sample the atmospherics at other units and try before you put in a formal transfer request. Think carefully about how you approach this though as I’ve known some units be absolute shits about people looking to transfer out.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You might also look at some of the national units ,but don't leave. Better to transfer and try a slightly different unit

Put simply...

If you don't like your unit, transfer.
If you don't like the AR, quit.

Some of us were lucky in the choices we made - lucky because you have no way of telling what a unit is like until you've been with them for months or even years.

Where are you roughly in the country, we can then give you advice on other nearby units. If you're London way, my troop of 21 has 5 females, who have more socials just the 5 of them than they do hot dinners!

I enjoy the weekends and the time in the field, but there seems to be no social side at my unit at all.

Friends at other units don’t seem to have these issues, the boundaries seem a lot clearer and the units have socials etc.
I think you have answered your own question.

Try a national unit, that culture of your current unit sounds bad but there are plenty of good units out there - shop around!

Latest Threads