Transferring in MkII

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by tarnished-oak-leaf, Aug 21, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies and Gentlemen

I originaly posted on the Adjt's Office board Re: Transfering

To refresh your memories....

I'm a 9 yr Inf fullscrew,  I'm in a particular job where I'm in effectively dead-mans-shoes.  And there's 5 of them in front of me!  Promotion to WO2 is NOT a forgone conclusion here, even if I stay to my 22.  I've got a bit more about me than settling for Sgt/CSgt,  I want to 'get on'. I've no intention of getting out for quite a while yet, I just want to give myself the best chance I can (who else is going to do it for me?) and the time has come to grasp the nettle.

I've had some 'outside' advice to transfer to a corps, Int corps to be precise (aparently I'd be well suited ... ahem).  

The current Army 'site lists,

The requirement for an OP MI transfer to be,
    Min 3 GCSE incl. English Language at Grade C level or above. DV Clearance before course commences.  

My failing point here is the Qual's.  Not that I'm a thicko Infanteer.  I never took my exams for reasons that I wont go into here.  However, as I said I am not thick.

Is there a way around this 'slight' setback..... anyone? (dare I say it.... any officers?)

I've had some sound advise from snot_hat and eagle....

Don't worry about the quals - I joined with 3 CSE grade 4's (couldn't be arrsed at school either!) - it's all about about yer 'EMLAT' score when you apply (English, Maths and Languages Aptitude Test, IIRC).

Suffice to say, if they give you the qualifications guff - which I doubt they will - get 'em to EMLAT you anyway then let them make a decision.    

and...

I Know at least one Inf Cpl who lied about his quals  

'Bit worried about this one,  can anyone shed any more light just to be 100% on whether or not it's all going to be in vein.  I need to know if I can even get through the door to start with!

The paperwork has started I'd just like some more advise/comments/tips  (especially on this EMLAT thing.... anyone know the format/make-up?)

Cheers again guys

T-O-L

2. ;D

Thanks a lot for that,  I'll go and see the Section next door tommorrow.......... fingers crossed now

:p

3. As ex green slime now an educator, you could try your education centre and see if they can assess your level-you might be able to get some evidence that even if you don't have a precise qual you are good enough.  Your Div will have a Divisional Language Advisor who will be able to administer the MLAT test to you so you will know if you have the aptitude that the Corps is interested in-hope this is of use to you