Transferring from R.E to Int Corps - need advice ASAP

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
A side note *

For those who have responded with decorum and understanding, thank you.

I am currently 35 Engr Rgt, Wimbish as a High Threat Searcher. Looking to transfer with the thought for a long term horizon, as in transitional opportunities when my service career would be at a end down the line.

The fact that I can get fast tracked to Lcpl on completion of the the CLM/Phase 2 training is of course a lure too, with quick promotion if you're good enough aswell.

But ultimately the job itself is something I feel would fit my personality a lot better, I am serious. Come Monday, I will be withdrawing my termination as long as I get the green light from the RCMO after chatting with him.

No doubt more ridicule is inbound, but how do i get on to the INC forum reference transferring?
It's INT for Intelligence, not INC for Incorporated, just a helping hand, no ridicule.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I suspect INC is INtelligence Corps.

You have already correctly surmised that this is a loosely military themed website inhabited in the main by civilians, STABs and bitter Cold War Warriors wiling away retirement.

The Int Corps has a fine tradition of transferees, your RCMO can point you in the direction of the relevant info. However, it will say you’ll need to attend a selection event at Chicksands to assess whether you have the potential to serve in the Corps. If successful youll attending a roughly four month ish phase 2 course and 3 week CLM at the same place before receiving your banana. Best of luck.

It's INT for Intelligence, not INC for Incorporated, just a helping hand, no ridicule.
It's been told numerous times, still not managed to corrected it. Ideal candidate for the Green Slime.

NemoIII

War Hero
A side note *

I am currently 35 Engr Rgt, Wimbish as a High Threat Searcher. Looking to transfer with the thought for a long term horizon, as in transitional opportunities when my service career would be at a end down the line.

The fact that I can get fast tracked to Lcpl on completion of the the CLM/Phase 2 training is of course a lure too, with quick promotion if you're good enough aswell.

But ultimately the job itself is something I feel would fit my personality a lot better, I am serious. Come Monday, I will be withdrawing my termination as long as I get the green light from the RCMO after chatting with him.

No doubt more ridicule is inbound, but how do i get on to the INC forum reference transferring?
I'll try to be helpful for you as I know it can be difficult for young soldiers to get any information on transferring. You're really going to have to drive to get the transfer, it's really not in anyone's interest for you to transfer.

I transfered to REME and that took nearly a year from me telling my Tp Sgt to actually getting to training, and I bet your timeline wouldn't be far off that. (Its amazing when people slate Capita for poor timings yet takes a year to move job WITHIN the army).

Have you checked the OAVL (Army Occupational Vacanices List) which sets out requirements for transfering? If you fail to meet these then you will be told to do one. I would suggest reading this before you sign back on as you may then be trapped in your current job as you're unable to transfer.

PM me if you have any further personal questions.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
A side note *

The Corps is keen on transferees and values their insights, perspectives and experience.

As noted in various responses, your RCMO is your first and best point of contact. Bear in mind that, should you be successful in prising the jaws of the bureaucracy open far enough to get to the next stage, the Corps itself has a selection routine and will take a view on your suitability through its own process; it's not a pass-or-fail thing, it's a suitable/not suitable affair. Hard to game, deliberately not described in too much detail for that reason.

Generally, be up on current affairs, confident in your written and spoken English and be prepared for what might seem like some pretty stupid questions.

You have already correctly surmised that this is a loosely military themed website inhabited in the main by civilians, STABs and bitter Cold War Warriors wiling away retirement.

The Int Corps has a fine tradition of transferees, your RCMO can point you in the direction of the relevant info. However, it will say you’ll need to attend a selection event at Chicksands to assess whether you have the potential to serve in the Corps. If successful youll attending a roughly four month ish phase 2 course and 3 week CLM at the same place before receiving your banana. Best of luck.

Friend of mine recently left The Muppets after a looong career including retread; he went in as REME came out a Kermit Major.

Actually come to think of it he may have been a Sapper.

Best of luck to the OP, i bet the Slime is really interesting just now, and will remain so.

It's been told numerous times, still not managed to corrected it. Ideal candidate for the Green Slime.

How frightfully mean of you to point it out. You beastly chap.

Thank you for all your responses, I will be speaking with my RCMO on Monday about the possibilities to transfer.

Will all things crossed, hopefully it will not be a drawn out affair and I can at least get on the 3 day assessment before April roles around.

On a side note, I'm thinking of doing some HGV driving one or two weekends a month to boost my income a bit. Do you know of anyone who does this, and would it require me filling out a self assessment or letting my clerk know in terms of tax purposes?

Thank you for all your responses, I will be speaking with my RCMO on Monday about the possibilities to transfer.

Will all things crossed, hopefully it will not be a drawn out affair and I can at least get on the 3 day assessment before April roles around.

On a side note, I'm thinking of doing some HGV driving one or two weekends a month to boost my income a bit. Do you know of anyone who does this, and would it require me filling out a self assessment or letting my clerk know in terms of tax purposes?
if you are to do it properly you'll need permission from the CoC and you'll need to do your own tax if you are going down the self employed route

A side note *

Serious note: We used to have a fair few come over to the RAOC/RLC as the promotion prospects were always considered better for the higher end trades. The blokes doing the clerical side of logistics management - what back in the old days was called a Tech Clerk, then became a Supply Controller - anyway, they were more or less guaranteed WO1 if they worked hard, did some unit sports, and did not stand on the table and drop their trousers in the mess.

Seeing as you are a High Threat Searcher, I am assuming IED/EOD, have you considered applying for Ammo Tech, or are you set on Int Corps? You might also consider RMP, for all the abuse they get they do a damn fine job. They offer a move into Close Protection, and/or SIB......and it can set you up for a move to civvy police when you finally leave.

Just some thoughts.

You need CPC too. Can be pricey.

5 years and not close to LCpl ?

5 years service as of April this year, when my penciled in termination date is set to take effect. The reason i'm still a sapper, is due to all the Army sport i've been lucky enough to play.

Army Cricket team, Army cross country team, Army skiing team....i've had a good run, but at my age now of 28 it's time to get serious with life a bit more i feel. Please don't jump to conclusions and think just because i am still a private, i am any lesser a man than someone who is not.

Not many privates have A levels may I add, something I'm lucky enough to have still with me. Anyway that's besides the point.

I am at a crossroads, and just really looking for advice from like minded and good natured vets. I'll be honest, one of my main reasons for wanting to stay in the Army is due to the pension at 20 years service.

From 45 with 20 years service EDP payments of £5.5k a year for just waking up, and solid pension of around £15k a year CPI linked at SPA... nothing comes close to that in a civvy job. So the way I see it, and correct me if i'm wrong... sacrifice chasing the big money a bit more £3k+ a month for it to come back to you later in life..

Plus, as i've previously mentioned I can always find ways to supplement my income through HGV driving at weekends if I can get my licence through the army.

I have looked into RMP's and for me it's not my fit, although CP is a real option upon leaving. I would love to work in intelligence upon leaving the Army to be honest, either that or teaching CIED with some contracting work.

I appreciate your guidance.

5 years service as of April this year, when my penciled in termination date is set to take effect. The reason i'm still a sapper, is due to all the Army sport i've been lucky enough to play.

Army Cricket team, Army cross country team, Army skiing team....i've had a good run, but at my age now of 28 it's time to get serious with life a bit more i feel. Please don't jump to conclusions and think just because i am still a private, i am any lesser a man than someone who is not.

Not many privates have A levels may I add, something I'm lucky enough to have still with me. Anyway that's besides the point.

I am at a crossroads, and just really looking for advice from like minded and good natured vets. I'll be honest, one of my main reasons for wanting to stay in the Army is due to the pension at 20 years service.

From 45 with 20 years service EDP payments of £5.5k a year for just waking up, and solid pension of around £15k a year CPI linked at SPA... nothing comes close to that in a civvy job. So the way I see it, and correct me if i'm wrong... sacrifice chasing the big money a bit more £3k+ a month for it to come back to you later in life..

Plus, as i've previously mentioned I can always find ways to supplement my income through HGV driving at weekends if I can get my licence through the army.

I have looked into RMP's and for me it's not my fit, although CP is a real option upon leaving. I would love to work in intelligence upon leaving the Army to be honest, either that or teaching CIED with some contracting work.

I appreciate your guidance.
Fair play, you've had some sporty times.

I managed LCpl in under three years and competed at world level... Inc JS teams, army etc.

lots of lads have A levels now. In the int corps you'll find many with degrees.

you're not going to get your HGV through the army. Not in the four months you have left in the RE and certainly not in the int corps should you successfully transfer.

If I were you I'd jump on the careers site and have a good look at all the roles available. Compare with the OAVL and go for it.

If that is Int so be it.

By 'eck!

Latest Threads