Transferring from Infantry to Armoured!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Burmese27, Aug 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I have completed my 17 days (TSC (A) and (Inf)) at Pirbright but due to work I now have to relocate. I have looked at units and I have an Armoured unit close to my new home. I have spoken to my unit and the new unit and my transfer is being processed.

My questions:-
    1. Do my basic training count?
    2. What course will I need to complete next?
    3. Any valuable help and advice you can give me?

Thank you,

2. Your next courses will be ..
    Phase 1 and 2 in signals
    Gunnery
    Then driver training .
    You could end up in support troop like i did being ex infantry..

3. How long are these courses and what would my scope be for deployment?

4. I can't comment on the signals side of life due to not being bowman trained ..
    Gunnery on the cvrt was 3 weekends .
    I did my driver training in one week on camp..
    Think your a bit green around the gills to be sent to theatre .But its all down to your training team how quick you want to get out there

5. If I stayed Infantry I would be looking at March 2012 according to my unit. I have previous military experience in South Africa so that might have counted in my favour.

Im not getting any younger (39) so would really like to get out to theatre as soon as I can.

6. Mr Labu******* by any chance? :p

7. ??? Who is this ???

8. well you are either being internet groomed or he knows you

Its a few years ago but in my case I joined as Infantry. I subsequently joined Royal Signals, Infantry again then Armoured Corps. All moves driven by my civilian job being relocated.

Basic training is basic training wherever you go. It all counts.

You'll now need to complete training in a trade. Gunner, Driver or Signals. I took signals because it interested me but any decent unit will give you a crack at all three to get to B3 before you make a real choice to go for B1 or Instructor.

Good luck

9. No he actually knows me......

Thanks that advice helps me a lot. Yeah my job is moving me too but I have always been keen on Armoured because of my grandfather (WW2)

10. No problem. I'm sure it'll work out.

To be honest I'd like to have stayed with my original infantry unit but my 'real' job would not allow it. HQ company were a great bunch, we had a cracking CSM and they encouraged you to try everything from rifle platoon to mortars to anti-tank to recce. Made for a good atmosphere.

RAC was a bit different, good atmosphere but a little more parochial depending on trade. I ended up in Command Troop so did little "proper soldiering" as you'd know it in the infantry.

If you ever end up at Bovvington steer clear of the local tarts. They are minging. Doubt the legendary "Dip n Dazzle" is still there but her successors will be.

11. Oh damn, looks like Im now being sent to London(Sutton) any suggestions for units nearby?

Before someone jumps down my neck, yes I have used the unit finder on the MOD website I am merely asking for suggestions based on experience.

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Mortar Pl 4 Para at Croydon might be an option depending on your fitness level.

13. I am 39 and although my fitness is good its not nearly at that level. I think I need to be realistic with myself as well and not let my ego run away with me. Lol.

But cheers for that.

14. If you're still interested in the RAC, 'C' Squadron of the Royal Yeomanry is just a stone's throw away in Croydon (no pun intended):
    Where we are - British Army Website

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Christ! An honest self appraisal on Arrse!

There is an RLC unit and a Yeomanry unit in Croydon, elements of the London Regiment in South London and plenty of other units nearby.

For my money, go for the Londons as your first choice. Good reputation, some good blokes and you have already done th training so you can crack straight on with it.