Transferring after phase 1

b0ss mang

Swinger
I've just finished my phase 1 training and am about to begin phase 2 training with the infantry.

I've just found out that the army now take on clinical psychologists as PQOs.

I'm training in psychology in my civvie career and now think it'd be a great idea to transfer to the RAMC to expose myself to more clinical situations (not necessarily in psychology) with a view of eventually becoming a PQO when I eventually get my DClinPsy.

Would it be difficult to transfer from my current regiment straight after phase 1?

Why don't you carry on in the infantry. Get some experience in an infantry unit for a few years and once you finish your mind doctor stuff and get some experience in that, then look at a transfer to the RAMC. They may be more welcoming then.

Just a suggestion.

b0ss mang

Swinger
Why don't you carry on in the infantry. Get some experience in an infantry unit for a few years and once you finish your mind doctor stuff and get some experience in that, then look at a transfer to the RAMC. They may be more welcoming then.

Just a suggestion.
Totally makes sense, however due to the nature of mind doctor stuff I'm still in the really early stages where I'm finishing the masters degree. After that you have to have a few years as a psychological wellbeing practitioner (PWP) for the NHS before you can even apply to do the doctorate in clinical psychology. So to get my foot in the door with the PWP stuff it would look much better on my applications if I were in the RAMC and have been exposed to some clinical scenarios (regardless of whether it's mental health related). Also if I were in the RAMC, many people there seem to work for the NHS anyway so it may in fact be better.

The rationale also being that because I've finished phase 1, I can transfer to the RAMC and do my phase 2 straight away.

Totally makes sense, however due to the nature of mind doctor stuff I'm still in the really early stages where I'm finishing the masters degree. After that you have to have a few years as a psychological wellbeing practitioner (PWP) for the NHS before you can even apply to do the doctorate in clinical psychology. So to get my foot in the door with the PWP stuff it would look much better on my applications if I were in the RAMC and have been exposed to some clinical scenarios (regardless of whether it's mental health related). Also if I were in the RAMC, many people there seem to work for the NHS anyway so it may in fact be better.

The rationale also being that because I've finished phase 1, I can transfer to the RAMC and do my phase 2 straight away.
Probably the best idea is to contact an RAMC Reserve unit and speak to them. They would able to advise you better than anybody here. Especially if they work for the NHS.

Latest Threads