Transferring after commitment bonus

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by stitch123, Sep 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I am currently looking at a transfer from the Army as a JNCO to the RAF as an Officer.

    I have just been paid my 5 year commitment bonus (£5500 old scheme) which commits me to a further two years of service. I believe on the old commitment bonus scheme the amount you got, when it was paid, and how long you had to serve in return was dependant on capbadge.

    I phoned JPAC yesterday however after reading various parts of JSP 754 to me they decided they didn't know the answer to whether I would have to give the bonus back. They suggested calling my clerk, however my transfer is not yet 'official' and I don't want to set any alarm bells off!

    Any ideas?
  2. Pay it back, you've reneged on the deal.
  3. it was only ever a 1 year return of servcie on the old scheme.
  4. It wouldn't be a transfer would it? If your application was successful and you passed training, then you'd have to effectively sign off as an Army JR and sign on again as RAF Commissioned. I suppose it depends on how the powers would see that.
  5. Yes you are right, technically its a discharge and an enlistment in a really short period of time. However I don't drop any pay (I mark time until it catches up), also my pensionable service remains the same.

    There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, I think it will come down to how Chief feels on the day.