Transferrable Skills from SPS?

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Soldier_Why, Mar 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

With the news of impending reduncancies looming large it got me thinking about the very real concern of having to find a job outside of the green machine if given the boot. Now, if you're a crusty bar steward like me you will probably remember all the talk and flag waving about various courses at Worthy Down (and other places) giving you the ability to apply for civilian qualifications, accreditation etc. For the most part I can't recall meeting very many people that managed to attain these ephemeral quals. I'm not talking about the guys and girls that went on to do CIMA but the vast majority of other people who make up our branch - the SSAs, the Sys Coords, the Regt Accts, etc.

So my first question is this. Have you, or anyone you know of, managed to use a course or qualification that you gained serving in AGC(SPS) to attain a civilian qualification? If so please provide links to the information as an aide to others who may not be aware of it.

My second question - given the wealth of experience within AGC(SPS), how are you going to sell this to civilian employers? What choice phrases will you/did you put in your CV to describe your experience as a FSA for example?

My hope is that this topic can provide a resource not just for those that may be selected (or volunteer) for redundancy but for anyone who serves, or has served, in our branch looking to improve their chances in the civilian employment market.

Useful links, 'civvy-speak' job descriptions etc most welcome and I will make a sticky if it throws up some genuinely useful stuff.
  2. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

3. ACA is generally for graduates and requires a training contract, so typically you'll need to work for a firm of accountants, who provide the training package. Applications for training contracts are very competitive.

CIMA/ACCA are more geared towards those without a degree, and able to study outside of a professional firm. The problem I've seen for those AGC who qualified with CIMA is they have very little in the way of commercial experience, so less likely to get a job as Finance Director for a business, but won't be professionally fouled when looking for accountancy work within local authorities for example.

AAT opens doors to accountancy qualifications, and something that's worth while in its own right. For anyone who's also doing a finance job within AGC, then studying for AAT provides an additional edge at interview and demonstrates an ability to work at a level a civilian employer will understand.
  4. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Thanks Biscuits, that is good information but not exactly what I was fishing for. Accreditation or transferring of courses and skills achieved whilst serving is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. I did hear a rumour at various times in my career that Regt Acct would qualify you as AAT for example. Yet to see any evidence of this however.

Also don't forget the second part of the OP, I'm also looking for how people are putting their SPS qualifications into civvy speak for prospective employers. The ability to fcuk up someone's pay within 2 seconds on JPA might be something to crow about down the bar but not really advisable to put it in quite those terms on your CV.

*Note: I have deleted the odd derogatory post from this topic. There are enough other places on here to slag off the SPS, let's try and keep this particular thread on topic.
  5. As a TA member of the SPS I am very interested in this and did chuckle when HQ announced that we could apply for affiliate membership from CIPD when we rebadged ourselves as HR combat admin wallahs. However, nearly anyone can apply for this as I already have this grade of membership.
  6. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Rather disappointing the lack of responses to this. Is the Corps really not offering anything?
  7. Edited by Mod. Serious replies only please.
  8. What's the value of the CMI? You just pay some money to prove that you were in the forces IMHO.
  9. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

You reckon? Doing it with CLM it can get you a level 5 diploma in Leadership and Management. Not sure how valuable that would be when seeking employment. Anyone had any experience of using this on a CV?
  10. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

ILM, CLM you have it use it.

Have it and use it on CV, interview, the biggest problem with service leavers is that we under sell ourselves
  11. Just interested. It polarised opinion on resettlement course, and I reckon it has got a few flaws that mean it might not necessarily be money well spent...
  12. dizzy.chick

dizzy.chick Clanker Book Reviewer

I got offered the CMI level 5 dip in leadership and managment. I keep being told how good it is and really makes a difference, my boss said it would for most people but it wasn't worth me doing it as I already had a similar qualification. Although if you do the dip then its only an extra 2 years and you can gain chartered managment status and that is worth something (to most employers).
  13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

RAPC qualified me as AAT, I 'think' it may have got me interview for my first job but after that it was experience being asked for & I don't think I ever used it again.
  14. Soldier_Why,

Presuming you are still serving, what rank are you and if a SNCO, what posts have you held/courses completed as such? That will help me answer your question a little better!