Transfering to the RAC (Light Dragoons or Queens Royal Lancers)

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Damo510, Mar 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i'm currently in the Artillery with just over 3 years and one tour of Afghanistan under my belt. I'm looking for something a little more challenging and interesting than my current role and have found the RAC FR to be where I hope to end up. Only trouble i'm having is deciding on which regt I put as my first choice.

I have heard good things about the Light Dragoons, and the Queens Royal Lancers are my local RAC regt (me being from Nottinghamshire). But as they have the same role i'm not sure which I should put down as my first choice.

Anyone with any information on either regiment, eg what day to day life is like, future deployments, exercises coming up and such would be of great help.

Thanks

Damian

2. Would you prefer to live in Catterick or Swanton Morely, this might be your deciding factor.

Out of curiosity, if you are in the artillery at the moment and want to move into recce, why don't you apply to go to the special OP Bty within 5RA? Pretty similar in many respects to what FR does.

3. I don't really have a preference to which camp I move to. When I joined the Artillery it was to go in to 4/73 Bty but i switched my first choice during Phase 1 training. I had considered going for them again but the RAC seemed a more varied and interesting role. Plus I would like to get to work on the Scimtar and all the of vehicles that FR use. I have spent 3 years in an Air Defence regt in a fairly easy role. I want to be challenged and enjoy it.

4. If location is unimportant then go for your local regiment. People from your neck of the woods, car sharing on weekends at home etc. Most on here will agree, if you have no specific choice, go with your local regiment.

5. Give it a go, but manning is tight and you will have to bring something specail to the party to even get a look in. Train hard and go for 4/73 bty, they do recce and could be a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

6. Is manning tight in general or in a specific regt?

7. Well i am from 9th/12th and we have a bad reputation and we are way over manned, so i think the rest will be to. Just a guess though

8. Looks like I might have to change my plans to transfer to the RAC then. I will speak to our RCMO and see what he can find out. If they are both full then I will have to find something else to do.

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I read this thread yesterday and noted that everywhere seems to be fully manned. I remembered how LD had to reduce a squadron to a skeleton in order to field a full battlegroup for Panther's Claw a couple of years ago and chuckled at the inconsistency.

Then on TV last night I saw an advert for Army recruiting and marvelled at the difference between what the MOD sees as overstaffing and what the Army sees as necessary to fight a war.

Politicians? I just sh!t better.

Personally I'd rather see all those young lads desperate to join the Army being taken on and earning a pittance than see them being given a life on benefits and no chance. It's how I got where I am today.

10. Do you know if it is the whole of the RAC thats over manned? Or just Formation Recce?

11. Not sure about the chally boys mate but its dying on its arse. Most waggons are been moth balled. Worth a look though. They are doing all sorts of roles at the moment.

12. I'm more interested in Formation Recce, but wouldn't rule out Chally's. I thought Light Dragoons would have been taking on because of their deployment next year. I did see on the manning list on ArmyNet that there was 20 spaces in FR at the moment. Any idea where?

13. you just after a summer job then! The LDS are over manned at the bottom and unless your a JNCO or have some niche skill like JTAC it would be very difficult to get in. As suggested above other RAC regts may be looking for blokes and they do have a recce troop, but you just cant walk in you will have to do your basic RAC trades first. but with the situation being very fluid at the mo you can deploy on anything from CVRT to Mastiff to being dismounted.

14. Not a clue mate. We deploy to Afgan in 2 weeks and we were told that we need to take TA with us. So we had to push out 8 regs from that sqn and put Stabs in. People are bitter about it. It could be something like that.

15. It wouldn't bother me if it was summer or winter. lol. Unfortunately not a JNCO and the quals I have are Level 2 Command Systems and Level 2 Logistics. If the LD's are that over manned then I'll have to speak to the QRL. See how they are for manning. Cheers for the info anyway.