Transfering to 4PARA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by lancs_lad, May 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible to transfer to 4PARA from another TA INF? How easy is this to do in pratice? If you can do you just need to do TA PCoy?

Thanks

ps. I have used the search function to try and find the answer but to no avail!

2. Be just like transferring from any regiment.

Good luck, met a few 4 para lads, good crowd.

3. msr

msr LE

PM The_Duke

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Once again...

If you have a CIC pass, you do not need to undergo that via 4 Para. Mod 1 +2 of the OTC does not count, nor does CMSR with a Corps. Either of those require attendance at CIC. If you hold rank (provided you have the courses to back it up) you should hold that rank - PIDs permitting.

You will however need to do around 5 or so of the 4 Para recruit weekends in order to do the physical build up in preparation for P Coy. Some in the past have tried to follow the route of only turning up for the "key" TAB of the weekend. That way lies failure because doing one TAB is not the same as doing 3 significant PT sessions in a weekend when doing P Coy prep.

The last attempted transfer (Inf JNCO - from a Regiment supposedly good at marching quickly) decided not to attend the beat up weekends as he was "up to speed". He needed to do a test 10 miler before he was sent forward for P Coy, of which he managed the first 500m before jacking, hence the need for the build up.

5. Fcuking hell, that's scarey... 8O

6. I don't believe for one minute that the bloke only managed 500m :? . Thats just not healthy 8O

7. Might be best you listen to the Duke. Im sure he wouldnt spin a yarn.

Remember, 500m of Para Tabbing is like 5 miles to us mere mortals :)

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I might be exaggerating - it could have been 350m!

In all seriousness, after a suitable warm up the PTI set off at full P Coy pace. I have no doubt that he could have managed more than 500m if he wanted to, but it was obvious that he did not see himself doing 10 miles at that pace and he jacked.

If you don't believe me, that is your choice. Perhaps you might like to try it out for yourself? 35lb plus water plus weapon, then crack on at 11 minutes per mile pace - 4 minutes per mile faster than the CFT - for 10 miles. Forget about the odd spell of doubling just to stretch the legs out and replace it with running on all downhill stretches and most of the flat bits.

If you can crack that, email me and we will put you forward for P coy.

9. Just out of curiosity, what's the average total weight, Duke? About 50 - 60lb at the start(before you begin to drink the water)?

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Nowhere near that - add one bottle in the rear bergan pouch, which can be resupped at each water stop. It is therefore probably 38Lb plus 9Lb for the rifle - say 47Lb in all. Usual Inf CFT weight is 25Kg all up, 55Lb.

Drop 8lb from the CFT weight, then drop 4 mins per mile from the time available. Your 6 mile CFT would only take 1 hr 6 minutes instead of 1 hr 30 mins. It is perfectly achievable but needs two things - improved CV fitness as you will definately be breathing hard, and technique. You need to get used to moving with weight at that pace.

11. Interesting - I did'nt know the weight for the 10 miler during P Company was actually LIGHTER than a normal CFT. Of course, the Paras are marching at a quicker pace, over a longer distance.

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Werewolf - to my mind, they are two very different events.

A CFT is slow, boring, but relatively hard on the back/shoulders. A 10 miler is quicker, harder CV wise, but less stress on the back/shoulders. It probably depends on build and what you are used to.

13. I'll bow to your experiance, Duke, since I've only ever done a CFT.

As you said, it was harder in terms of carrying the weight rather than CV. Interesting point about build; some of the lighter, faster racing snakes had problems with the weight. In some ways the CFT was an equaliser - the racing snakes had to work just as hard as the big, ugly fcukers like me! :twisted:

14. No wonder I didn't join the infantry.

It was 'this' big - honest ....said the fisherman to his mate