Transfering TA Units

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by LordVonHarley, Jul 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As some of you may know I'm uping sticks and heading back to Edinburgh ASAP.
    Whats the score with transfering TA Units?

I would ask at my Unit this evening but I'm working a night shift and every one is off on annual camp :(
  2. Find the unit you want to move to, have a chat with their OC or somesuch if you so wish, fill in a form and mail to your existing unit. Wait five months (harass as much as you like, it doesn't speed things) for them to process it and pass to new unit, they'll turn it around in a few days and send to Glasgow. JPA then takes effect and your wait is then decided on a dice roll.

Easy peasy, if you're far from your old unit and they're uncooperative then wait ages to be able to train again. If they'll accept the paperwork then you can train with gaining unit and send individual pay claims back to old unit.
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Sounds long and drawn out...

My route was:

Identify new unit

Have chat with new OC to prep the ground and MUCH TO MY SURPRISE get a gucci course or promotion prospect promised.

Have chat with old OC to prep the ground giving reasons for FO

Speak to new OC, confirm start date. new OC kicks new PSAO

New PSAO sends form to old PSAO

Old PSAO sends it back/centrally not sure about this bit.

Entire process took about 3 weeks. If there was a lag I didn't notice it. I changed from Glasgow to somewhere else for pay though so that took a couple of months. No biggy unless you are living/counting on it.
  4. Five Months!!! You are kidding me?

It would be faster to quit, change my name to Ima Jihadi and join again.
  5. We have three weeks from Mr Happy! I like the plan :)

I will book a meeting with the OC and scout out a new unit in Edinburgh (either 105 RA or MI).
  6. WE had a guy recently join (or should I say rejoin as he started with us, moved north, then came back).

The process took forever but he still paraded with us in the meantime, wore his old beret and was known by his previous units rank etc till the paper work was sorted. Need to get that checked with the PASO so that you get your beer tokens. Oh and don't forget to hand your G10 stuff back in, we had a numpty join the regs and took hit kit with him.
  7. Last 2 transfers took 5 months - at least 3 PWO continued to pay me while I trained with 34 Sigs.
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Don't just join one or the other! stick a question on both the MI forum and another on the RA one here on arrse and ask whats right/wrong with the weekends/where they went last annual camp/what opportunities there are for your rank for promotion/comraderie/totty.

Listen to all, whittle wheat from chaff and off you go!
  9. You also have the Signals in Edinburgh, looks like they are going somewhere sunny next year on a 6 month tour and it's not Afg or Iraq.....
  10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Cyprus? Sign me up! Free medal and suntans - outstanding!

dah dah dit etc
  11. I'm not in a position to tell, sorry.......
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Oooooh, could all be a big fib... I think YOU ARE going to AFG....
  13. Could be a big fib to get us all to commit to a 6 monther and then off to AFG, ho hum, still get a tan though....
  14. {Picks up pencil and adds Signals to the list}

Fantastic I have always wanted to go to Iran or is it the isle of Tiree (Sunnyest place in Scotland) :D
  15. Syria I believe, never been there before.

Iran is soooo last year.......