Transfering from the RAC to infantry as lance jack

Thinking of transfering to the infantry as a lance Jack, would I keep my rank? Would I have to complete the CIC same as any other day one week one recruit? Would i have to re - do a pnco cadre with the infantry I expect it'd be a fair bit more in depth to the one I've done within the armoured corps idea of what's expected of a section 2ic, any gen from anyone who's done it before or heard of someone transfering with rank would be appreciated.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Historically the rank of lance corporal exists because the disbandment of cavalry regiments in the 19th century led to cavalrymen transferring to the infantry and bringing extra skills with them that needed a place.

In the modern army? Who knows?

NemoIII

War Hero
Thinking of transfering to the infantry as a lance Jack, would I keep my rank? Would I have to complete the CIC same as any other day one week one recruit? Would i have to re - do a pnco cadre with the infantry I expect it'd be a fair bit more in depth to the one I've done within the armoured corps idea of what's expected of a section 2ic, any gen from anyone who's done it before or heard of someone transfering with rank would be appreciated.
Depends, what role did you do? Javelin, sniper, command tp? They'll be easy to get across with.

If you're going from a loader on a Challenger 2 to Rifle company 2IC expect a massive change but I presume they would still take you.

If you were Light Cavarly, the job isn't too much different from the role of Protected mobility infantry Bns.

Realistically I would be asking myself what I really wanted from it? What about Light Cavarly spread across the country and Ive worked alot with the infantry when I was with them.

RAC not recruiting but the AA are?

ugly

LE
In theory appointment of L/Cpl is at the CO's discretion so I imagine lacking the career courses the best thing is to ask the unit that you want to transfer to and see if they will put you on the SAA/Junior Brecon package?
My old mob used to select the top candidate from the nco cadre to attend the next Brecon. The training wing always ran pre Brecon packages for the Lcpls as in recce we were usually demo/enemy for them and the new drafts were treated as troops in training for the SAA package.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It may have escaped your notice young fella'me'lad, but those poor, tired, wet, miserable looking bastards you see flash by as you roar past in your invincible Aluminium tin of death, with a hot brew in your hand and, if you're organised and in a Spartan, your dismount busy making you another one, are in fact, the ******* infantry.

Y'know the lads. Sore feet, broken backs with heavy loads and little to smile about.

Why the shitgobbling flangefingering fucksticks would you want to join those peasants?!

Seriously? :|

P.S - If you're not enjoying your current Regiment, consider a transfer within the RAC. Everything still stands that you've learned and earned and you're still able to toss one out in warmth and comfort whenever it pleases you.

ugly

LE
It may have escaped your notice young fella'me'lad, but those poor, tired, wet, miserable looking bastards you see flash by as you roar past in your invincible Aluminium tin of death, with a hot brew in your hand and, if you're organised and in a Spartan, your dismount busy making you another one, are in fact, the ******* infantry.

Y'know the lads. Sore feet, broken backs with heavy loads and little to smile about.

Why the shitgobbling flangefingering fucksticks would you want to join those peasants?!

P.S - If you're not enjoying your current Regiment, consider a transfer within the RAC. Everything still stands that you've learned and earned and you're still able to toss one out in warmth and comfort whenever it pleases you.
100% agree, seven years a stubble hopper with a brief four months in fox CVRW and if I had my time again I wouldn't walk anywhere! If you want something there must be roles in the RAC where you can dismount

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
100% agree, seven years a stubble hopper with a brief four months in fox CVRW and if I had my time again I wouldn't walk anywhere! If you want something there must be roles in the RAC where you can dismount
There is. Certainly ours had B Squadron who were Surveillance Troop initially, so all the COP training / technical training before becoming the Brigade Recce Force which meant we were infantry in everything but name, but of course, far ******* sexier. Herrick was brilliant (for all it's downsides) as we'd drive to the AO in the Jackals, maybe blat away a bit at some random shadow in the treelines, and then laager up and go for a ramble and fall into ditches or go prone in human shit,, whereas the infantry just sat in FOBs in miserable conditions and patrolled out from them day in, day out.

We at least got a change of scenery!

Look how much fun everyone's having!!

DSCF0054.JPG
PC180013.JPG

Last edited:
Cheers for the responses everyone, should have mentioned I'm in an armoured cav regiment as a gunner on scimitar but also have transferable skills like jav trained ect, it's not the actual job that I'm bored of its more the lack of opportunity it seems like once you've done batus that's the sort of pinnacle of our job meanwhile infantry seem to get alot more funding and more opportunities to go on tours ect, obviously I'll speak to my rcmo and get the facts on what would be expected of me to do if I was to transfer just thought I'd get abit of advice before getting the ball rolling.
Once again cheers for the feedback

Cheers for the responses everyone, should have mentioned I'm in an armoured cav regiment as a gunner on scimitar but also have transferable skills like jav trained ect, it's not the actual job that I'm bored of its more the lack of opportunity it seems like once you've done batus that's the sort of pinnacle of our job meanwhile infantry seem to get alot more funding and more opportunities to go on tours ect, obviously I'll speak to my rcmo and get the facts on what would be expected of me to do if I was to transfer just thought I'd get abit of advice before getting the ball rolling.
Once again cheers for the feedback
Not taking the Michael, but have you considered something like an OU Degree?

NemoIII

War Hero
I'm bored of its more the lack of opportunity it seems like once you've done batus that's the sort of pinnacle of our job meanwhile infantry seem to get alot more funding and more opportunities to go on tours ect
Still putting light cavarly out there, I went to Kenya with the infantry. LD have still completed a exercise in America, Scots DG a exercise in UAE.

Plenty of overseas training with light Cav of you wanted it, just lacking a bit with the tours.

Depends how bored you are? What about getting a trade? Or OU?

Completely agree. I thought to myself "What do I want to join? Infantry? No, fcuk that, they are called foot soldiers for a reason."

Last edited:

Biffta112

Old-Salt
I retained my rank when I transferred from RSigs to Inf, as long as you are qualified you should retain it. However it will all come down to a decision by whoever you are transferring to.

Spec Inf? I think I read a DIN that had them accepting all capbadges, but I could be wrong.

Latest Threads