transfering from inf to somewhere real

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by 22yearlancejack, May 19, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i joined the inf in my early 20`s like two other guys who are in the same boat as me, we would like to know if there is a time served limit to stop us transfering to another unit,  ie a corps, we are 35,36 and 36 we have all done 14 years in the inf, and have heard rumours that we have served to long in our current unit to be able to transefer as we only have 8 years left to offer to somone else....is there a limit or is there anything stopping us from moving?  also would we loose our rank or keep it??

2. Mate

Try this one for starters

http://www.army.mod.uk/servingsoldier/career/usefulinfo/transfers/ss_cmd_tfr_w.html

BTW 8 years is optimistic - transerring takes time waiting for paperwork, suitability assessments, course loading and re-training.

Read the link for yourself and have a good skeg at relevant DCIs etc.  Obviously chat to the lads already wearing the cap-badge you're after, at every rank.

FFS think long and hard and be certain why you're going for a Corps.   If it's a trade make sure the qual is civvy recognised as well as a skill in demand.   And be bloody careful anyway.  The highest turnover rate for any Corps is the same as the rest of the Army, i.e.  Pte - Cpl - so that's ideally what they'll want as transferees.  

Very few Corps will take you at your present rank.  Even if they do, you'll be put very firmly at the back of the queue for any promotion and gucci in-Corps courses - for a number of reasons that will NOT be made obvious to you.

I say again: be bloody careful.  Treat a Corps like you treat NI - nobody's your fcuking mate.

3. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Just had two new B3 clerks arrive in my unit.  BOTH SGTS!

One Ex-REME, other Ex-RA

The AGC is crying out for blokes (and gals), so if this is what flicks your switch then have a word with your RAO who will brief you up on eligibility.

4. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Not necessarily, I had an Engr from my unit apply to transfer to the AGC last Jan and he was posted back to us last July (fully B3'd up!).

5. SW

Hopefully these guys can make a decision based on digging for info on best case / worst case scenarios - at the end of the day it all depends what they wannabe.

Must admit I'm surprised that a Sgt can stand as a B3
    Clerk... I would have thought that rank would be linked to B1.   Evidently, not the case.

AGC ought to be slicker than most at processing the paperwork though !

6. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

They used to send the more senior (crusty?) transfer in soldiers straight on B3, B2, B1 but they now have to serve in the unit for 6 months before going back to Worthless Down.

As an aside, I know of one Sgt who transferred into the AGC about 18 months/2 years ago and he has just come off the Staffies board!!

7. How pathetic after all that time, to end up pencil pushing sons of bitches..............the army must be fu#king crap

Chris

8. Excellent post exmarine.  I can see you fully utilised the Education Centre when you were serving. :p

Perhaps the chaps would like to something with their lives when they leave the service. Changing trades or Corps is a good way to learn something new and gain qualifications. They will be more attractive to employees if thay can show continued learning throughout their career, it shows thay can be retrained easily, should they want to try something new.

Anyone who wants to transfer - to or from any Corps / Arm should think carefully, it ain't easy.  If you think it's the right thing - go for it.  The only people who will give you any crap are those too stupid or scared to do anything themselves.

9. Actually I utilised  Education before I joined up and fail to see how becoming  a rear end chump with the AGC will enhance any bodies education. LOL.

I just detest any army which thinks that the infantry is not real and places its brains on its ass.

Chris

10.  "I just detest any army which thinks that the infantry is not real and places its brains on its ass."

No one is suggesting that the army's brains are in it's ass, this thread is about changing jobs during your career.
    Marines can do it but stay within capbadge, in the army you change badges - big deal.  

Did you slag off Royal Marines clerks?

11. Yes. Marine Clerks are ******* as well.

Chris

12. The infantry is not real Unquote.

I am sorry but this statement was a red flag to a bull. I actually do understand the horses for courses rule.

What I do feel strongly about is that on recruitment the better lads are head hunted for other arms.

To be a good infantryman requires many attributes, being bone is not one of them.

The British army still has a cannon fodder attitude, that is why Para regt is always covering your ass.

I feel sorry for your Infantry which gets treated like sh#t.

Chris

13. As someone who knows some extraordinarily bright and well educated infantry types (both soldiers and officers - it's a long story......), I have a basic curiosity about this brain vs brawn debate. Is there an argument emerging ever more strongly that, with the evolution of armed conflict being conducted in ever more increasing complex and politically sensitive arenas, with the addition of the increasingly complex factor of technology added to the equation - that the 'grunt' no longer exists? That the infantry soldier ( who now takes and holds ground in a fluid, dynamic, multi-cultural, fast-changing, politically-aware, potentially revolutionary sceanario) is, in fact, required to be more intelligent and sensitive (and educated?) than his/her 'technical' compadres?

14. To be frank, there are very few places now in todays Army where a soldier does not have to pull his weight. The pressure of rules of engagement, highly technical equipment and short training cycles means that we need soldiers who can assimilate information quickly and understand the wider implications of their actions.

The evidence of the high standards of our soldiers not only in the Infantry but in all Regiments and Corps is plain to see when we compare them against other nations operating in a highly volatile situation as found in the recent Gulf War. We have much to be proud of.

15. We have much to be proud of. The british Army does. Don't get me wrong, I work in a multi national environment and see all the rest of the tosh.

But you do treat your infantry like doggy pooh compared to other branches.

They are the army all else exists to support them and not the other way around.

Chris