Transfering backed up files

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by wheelchairwarrier, Apr 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Doris has her new desktop, prior to the murder of her old PC I had backed up her stuff to an external HDD ,how do I restore these files to the new PC ? does the new PC have to have the same name as the old one ?
    I'm asking now before blood is spilt.

Thanks

WW

2. msr

msr LE

How did you back it up? Did you just copy the files onto the external hard disk?

msr

3. I used vistas back up and restore centre, connected HDD and clicked back up files, came back later to your computer has been sucsessfuly backed up , or similar.
    WW

4. msr

msr LE

You should be able to use 'Backup and Restore' on the new computer to restore the files.

Personally, I always recommend a trial restore of a few files to ensure that it really has worked...

msr

5. I used the 'Backup and Restore'facility in vista to create the backed up files but it seems to require easy transfer installed on the original pc ,needless to say a more pressing development has arisen,
    itunes wont install ,Ive been told its all my fault too ,along with no email client ( sorted )

I will wait untill Mrs WW is away at the weekend and experement, after all whats the worst that could happen.

WW

6. 8O 8O 8O

7. 8O 8O 8O

8. msr

msr LE

Is your new computer running windows 7?

9. msr

msr LE

10. msr

msr LE

11. Yes win 7 64 bit

WW

12. msr

msr LE

Should restore OK then...

13. In a place where I worked, a fuse blew on the supply to the computer hall.

No worries. Battery operated uninterruptable power supply kicked in instantly and kept everything running.

After about 20 minutes, the electricians were still desperately searching for the cause of the outage. The batteries were being drained.

No worries. A 'last resort' diesel generator kicked in to power up the computer hall. Unfortunately, the generator hadn't been maintained, or even turned over in years.

The thick layer of cr@p covering the genny promptly went on fire and the blaze quickly spread to the junk stored in the generator room, laughing in the face of various halon and sprinkler systems as it spread.

Within minutes, much of the building was either alight or smoke filled. At this point, the Fire Brigade arrived, entered the now blazing computer hall and hosed down millions and millions of pounds worth of hardware with high pressure hoses and bulk foam thingies.

What's the worst that can happen? Blazing inferno. Indoor swimming pool in the basement. Wife runs off with one of the fire men.

14. after a wee ( and interesting) chat with microsoft help a solution has been reached. Win 7 uninstalled and vista on until W7 SP1 appears back of May ,seems itunes is quite an issue, easy transfer, vista via external storage to W7 is pot luck and best done manualy.
    So a backward step technicaly,but in the marital harmony dept progress.

"What's the worst that can happen? Blazing inferno. Indoor swimming pool in the basement. Wife runs off with one of the fire men"
    No such luck :D :D

msr , many thanks for your help and advice, I will return to W7 when its issues are sorted ,just need to keep the peace.

WW