Transfered from inf to band, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by rollafo, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im really not sure about moving to the band. My oc chose me without asking, called me in & said I would promote faster playing the bugle. I know he was called by the CO to find someone from his company to transfer to band as they were short of bugalars. I feel like I dont want to go & kinda worried Ill get stuck in the band without being able to get out again.
    I want to hear what you think, please.

2. Well, at least you will be able, with all honesty:

a To say "This one time, at Band Camp..."

b To blow your own trumpet.

Either that, or request an OC's Interview and put into sensible words why you don't want to be a Bugler. If he says you're going anyway, it could be because he can't see a future for you in a Rifle Coy.

3. Our Bugle Platoon was filled with good blokes who knew more regimental history than anyone else and were bloody good infanteers- they were also machine-gunners. The band were rarely seen as they were always on world tours, they probably saw more interesting places and boffed more clunge than anyone else in the battalion. So if you've got the same set up as we used to have... if it's bugles, your OC rates you as a squaddie and likes you. If it's the band... he just likes you :-D

4. By band, I assume you mean 'Drums/Bugles Plt'?

In which case you also get to be a Gunner and carry various parts of a GPMG (SF).

5. hmm I had an OC`s interview today unexpected, if I was prepared for it I know now I would have refused it but the way he came across I agreed to transfer. Yeah good blokes here in the band but its not appealing to me at all. Also going back to Catterick for 5 months is kinda depressing.
    Ill probably go for itfor a couple of years, hopefully make a rank then get back to a rifle company.
    Thanks

6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Well, I'm a bit out of date. In my day, those invited to join the Drums were qualified, presentable and intelligent Infantry soldiers with a bit of life about them who could blow a tune. They got to go to places most of the Bn weren't invited to.

Wouldn't worry about Catterick, you'll be a bit special.

I'd say, take the opportunity and jump out if it doesn't suit. Rehearse your argument, but give it a go first.

7. rollafo.

Get a grip, it isn't the band. It is your SF Plt. You'll need to work hard and apply yourself otherwise you'll not make the 5 months... and will be forever known as 'the bloke who couldn't hack it in the band' by your peers.

SF courses beckon.

8. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

OP - this is the SOCIAL forum? What possessed you to post this here? There's an Infantry forum which I'm going to move this into.

9. no worries scaryspice, am not used to this site. Helpful so far though.
    Ill give it a go & as always Ill apply myself. Thanks again.

10. Brotherton Lad

Are you implying the Infantry is lacking in social skills?

I'm sure you are not, so my query is purely rhetorical.

I hasten to add, in a quick edit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. what ever happened to the first part of "never out-thought, never out-fought".....

12. Brotherton Lad

Don't know, I've been out for donkeys', but I did hear tell that the concept was inadvertently lost to Serco in a badly written PFI and is now having a well-deserved break on a beach in the British Virgin Islands.

13. So you've been selected to be a Drummer? You're not leaving your Bn and will most likely only move Companies. You might be GPMG SF, Assault Pioneer or whatever secondary role your Bns Corps of Drums has when on exercise/tour.

14. Your right Zazrathustra, the band in hq are assault pioneers aswell, a little more technical & more to learn. Im getting used to the idea I have to move companies. Will miss some mates though.

15. You're moving Company's not continents...

It's not the 'band', ever thought most of your objection is down to your peers and your own ignorance?