Transferable skills???

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Nick78, Mar 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I provide career management to service leavers and veterans and would like the input from arrse members please.

Much of my work is concerned with identifying the individual capabiltities of individuals I help. With this knowledge we identify potentially suitable areas of civilian employment. I have my own views about the transferable skills from the armed forces to the civilian world but would like to ask you what you think. .

Take the basic skills learnt by every soldier through Phase I training including, Fieldcraft, Skill at arms, fitness, qualities of a Soldier, Military & Regimental knowledge, Battlefield Casualties Drills, Individual Health & Hygiene and Basic Radio Principles to name a few.

What I would like to know is what you think is transferable to civilian employment from these skills? Thank you very much.
  2. Don't mean to be churlish, but if I went to a 'career manager', I'd expect him to be the expert. If you have to ask your prospective clients' advice, what exactly are you for?

I may of course have gotten the wrong end of the stick and, yet again, be spouting bollocks. If so, then unreserved apologies are offered in advance.
  3. msr

msr LE

4. I suppose transferable skills would mainly be dependant on the "potential" job the service leaver is applying or being considered for wouldn't it?
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Give the kid a break you ginger Welsh dwarf and let us assume for a moment that ARRSE is here to help? The fact that he/she/it is asking questions indicates a desire to help.

The question of transferable skills from Mil to CivPop is an interesting one.

The Mil have a bunch of skills that often seem to have no place in the real world. This is in fact, not the case.

Pass the popcorn and lets see how this one pans out. Then I shall provide the answer.
  6. Absolutely nothing. ATRs' "imbue" nothing upon the individual (transferable to civpop anyway) as upon passing out virtually all revert back to type from what I've seen in battalion.

A lot of lads seem to think the only real transferable skills are picking up their driving quals (Cat C, C+E etc).
  7. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I thought they gave you like a grant towards courses that will help you out in civi street (like plumbing, air con and refrigeration)....?

Every man an Emperor
  8. Fitness = fitness. Not overweight, not going to go sick every week

Loyalty & Pride in your work

Ability to work both in a team and work on own

able to understand and implement management decisions

A ability to think on your feet and overcome problems

basic Life Support Training potential for First aid at work.

communications skills
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hi Taffd - I am smiling becuase I was expecting this sort of reply somewhere in the responses.

You are absolutely right in expecting a career manager to be an expert. However, I believe that even 'experts' should, from time to time, test their theories and be broad minded enough to see what other people think.

Also, different people learn different things from similar experiences. So, my question was not posted here to overtly demonstrate my stupidity or apparant failure at my job ;-) It was merely to ask what the service community 'believe' are transferable skills from things such as learning to administer oneself in the field or to be a top marksman.

It is less about asking prospective client's advice more their opinion to guage their starting point.
  10. As transferrable skills, none. It doesn't mean that they haven't gained something that could be useful to an employer.

You also need to bear in mind that the level that you're asking about is that at which a civvy wouldn't have had time to develop transferrable skills. You could go on to comment on character assessment but as an ex-soldier with nothing but Phase 1 behind them, it appears that they weren't suited to the Army.

Apologies if you're dealing with people with a med discharge.
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Bingo. Transferable skills is misunderstood in my view.

Skill - I can wire a three pin plug

Transferred - I can handle tools and count up to three.

So the transferable skill is not being able to wire a plug. It is the ability to handle tools and count. Sorry if his is a simple analogy. But some people reading this are Welsh.

I wouldn't worry. K13 is a forgiving man. Mostly. Just do not start him on the vanishing otters, all right?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I should also point out that to the military these transferable skills or marketing phrases are an anathema. To an employer they may get you to an interview which is what's its about.

Now I read the blurb I had quoted I would laugh but I would then look at your CV at least and then decide if your trade skills were what I wanted. For some Govt depts you need to include the right buzzwords and give examples.

Hope this helps someone
  13. The reason I concentrated my question on Phase 1 was only because I thought that if I asked the question after someone had joined their Regiment and were trade trained then it would prevent me from asking a wider audience and the answers I got may have been too focused on specific roles.

V happy to receive any thoughts on this subject and thank you all for your thoughts so far.
  14. You could always stick your head above the parapet and ask the question that I think you really want to ask: "Do the infantry, tankies and Gunners have any transferrable skills other than driving?"