transfer to para regt

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by brian88, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. anybody have any experience of transferring to para regt? im a full screw. would i keep rank? what courses are involved. im already para trained. would it be the whole 30 odd weeks infantry cse, or would i start later on. then would i have to 2 brekon even though ive already done clm? cheers

2. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

3. To be honest no. Don't really touch inf business except on Pcoy and CLM.

4. I am sure you can be an Infantry Section Commander in the Parachute Regiment without doing Junior Brecon with very little Infantering experience...

• Like Like x 1
  5. obviously there will be some sort of course to do, what week on inf cse do you start

6. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

You would first have to do PRAC along with all other potential parachute regiment recruits, then depending on how you do on that would reflect on what week of training you would go into.

As I gambling man I reckon you would join around the week 5/6 mark.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

7. that doesnt seem right to me, considering jr entry soldiers do their basic at harrogate, then only have to do a 14 week infantry cse.

8. What trade are you at the moment?

9. You will definately NOT keep your rank!

If you're as good as you seem to think you are though, you'll be on accelerated promotion.

If you are a whinger, as you come over on here, you won't even finish the basic training!

• Like Like x 1
  10. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Perfectly fair, an RM Lance jack who got to the hills phase on selection still had to do the whole cse after having only spent 6months at of green kit before he re joined.

11. Was my first thought as well.

12. We had a guy come across and kept his rank as a Lcpl and as far as I'm aware he wasn't required to go and do any training at Catterick, he did say that he'd been told he'd have to go to HDPRCC and complete the JNCO cadre at some stage to keep his rank (we're not Para Regt). I also know a few of our lot who've gone over to Para Regt without having to do any further training and a bloke who transferred from Signals to Para Regt, he had to go back and (I think) complete the "phase 2" element of the CIC and PCOY to bring him up to speed.

It's impossible for anyone to give a definitive answer on any courses you'd need to do or whether you'd need to go to Catterick as we don't know the details of your situation. Your RCMO should be the person you speak to about this if you want gen info, though as a Cpl I'd have expected him to be your first port of call.

13. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Very unlikely to happen in para reg I'm afraid unless he has an infantry background.

14. Yes but the question was about transferring to Para Regt, not Infantry?

It would not happen except in very special circumstances.

A mate of mine came to 3 Para from Guards Independant Company when they were disbanded. He kept his rank of Sergeant & was a WO2, 2 years later. He ended up as a Captain.

Another friend was a Cpl in the RAF, radar tech, with his wings up.........straight down to Tom on day one......FULL recruit course & take those wings off until you've done the proper course!
    He made Lance Jack 3 years later!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.