transfer to para regt

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody have any experience of transferring to para regt? im a full screw. would i keep rank? what courses are involved. im already para trained. would it be the whole 30 odd weeks infantry cse, or would i start later on. then would i have to 2 brekon even though ive already done clm? cheers

I am sure you can be an Infantry Section Commander in the Parachute Regiment without doing Junior Brecon with very little Infantering experience...

that doesnt seem right to me, considering jr entry soldiers do their basic at harrogate, then only have to do a 14 week infantry cse.

that doesnt seem right to me, considering jr entry soldiers do their basic at harrogate, then only have to do a 14 week infantry cse.

You will definately NOT keep your rank!

If you're as good as you seem to think you are though, you'll be on accelerated promotion.

If you are a whinger, as you come over on here, you won't even finish the basic training!

daywalker

LE
Kit Reviewer
Perfectly fair, an RM Lance jack who got to the hills phase on selection still had to do the whole cse after having only spent 6months at of green kit before he re joined.

Z

Zarathustra

We had a guy come across and kept his rank as a Lcpl and as far as I'm aware he wasn't required to go and do any training at Catterick, he did say that he'd been told he'd have to go to HDPRCC and complete the JNCO cadre at some stage to keep his rank (we're not Para Regt). I also know a few of our lot who've gone over to Para Regt without having to do any further training and a bloke who transferred from Signals to Para Regt, he had to go back and (I think) complete the "phase 2" element of the CIC and PCOY to bring him up to speed.

It's impossible for anyone to give a definitive answer on any courses you'd need to do or whether you'd need to go to Catterick as we don't know the details of your situation. Your RCMO should be the person you speak to about this if you want gen info, though as a Cpl I'd have expected him to be your first port of call.

I transferred from R Sigs to Inf and kept my rank (full screw) with no need for any additional training.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Yes but the question was about transferring to Para Regt, not Infantry?

It would not happen except in very special circumstances.

A mate of mine came to 3 Para from Guards Independant Company when they were disbanded. He kept his rank of Sergeant & was a WO2, 2 years later. He ended up as a Captain.

Another friend was a Cpl in the RAF, radar tech, with his wings up.........straight down to Tom on day one......FULL recruit course & take those wings off until you've done the proper course!
He made Lance Jack 3 years later!

You will most likely have to do the full CIC including PRAC. They might fast forward you to week 7, a guy who started day 1 in my pl who transfered from rlc got put to that stage purely because his admin skills were good and he knew most the lessons being taught. I heard of a few blokes who transfered had to go out on exercise with a pl to see if there skills were up to scratch.

L

Lizard_Lips

There is something in place now for this kind of thing. Para reg are taking blokes from other regiments to keep us up to full strength.

When the lads are on various courses they've been told to look out for blokes that would do well in the reg and try to poach them.

If you are infantry you'll go to depot and join a pl prior to p coy. If you are not infantry you will have to do the whole of phase 2 training regardless of rank. regarding rank, dont expect to keep it unless you prove to be a bit of a ninja.

Best bet is to phone the depot, they'll give you the definitive answer.

Z

Zarathustra

I think that you've got all the info you can from ARRSE now, speak to your CoC and get it from the horses mouth, you never know, if you're a good bloke they might even dangle a very attractive carrot to keep hold of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.