Transfer to NZ Army

Ok, so there is plenty of info about joining the Australian Army but bugger all about going over to NZ.

I have just put my application in to join the NZ Army after my 22 is up.

Anybody got any relevant info about what I can expect, packages, postings etc etc etc.

Many thanks

CW

Mate they have a whole website dedicated to it but I have the email of the recruiter for British Forces into the NZ Army if you would like it.

Jan Phillpott, PM me if you want it. I just got my medical date through and they are keen as mustard for Brits.

Chummers_Warn said:
Ok, so there is plenty of info about joining the Australian Army but bugger all about going over to NZ.

Anybody got any relevant info about what I can expect, packages, postings etc etc etc.

Many thanks

CW
This summer (ours not theirs!) the wife and I went over to NZ for our honeymoon. Whilst there we spent a long weekend with a mate of mine that joined the NZ Army about 2 1/2 years ago (he was an RLC SNCO with 15yrs service).

It took him around 18 months to go through all the different stages of application/immigration.

Also its not a transfer between Army's, you have to get discharged from the British Army before being taken on over there.

Gotta say from what he has shown me and what we talk about via Email he has made the right choice. I think that is mainly for his family, our country seems to be degenerating into a selfish society where the needs of the individual are king. After being there I think I'd rather bring my kids up there too!!!

I will give him the nod about this and he may log on and give some info.

As the other chap says there is a lot on the NZ Army website about us Johnny Foriegners joining.

Well, had my interview last week so fingers and every other appendage crossed!!

Chummers_Warn said:

Many thanks

CW
CW having joined the NZDF and still serving with them PM me if you want up to date info

Regards

AT

Achilles_Toe said:
Chummers_Warn said:

Many thanks

CW
CW having joined the NZDF and still serving with them PM me if you want up to date info

Regards

AT
or why don't you post your experiences on here for all to see, it may help a lot of undecideds go for it.

Well, I have been offered a job in the NZ Army as a Sgt :D

Two days after being picked up on a sweeper for WO1!!!!

Things always happen at the same time with me dont they!!!!

What to do, what to do :?

Advice, comments or cash would be appreciated!!!!

i got knocked back!! CS Op, Sgt in R.Sigs with loads of mil quals, very politley they told me no!!

They said a massive recruiting drive in NZ recently has made them drop the numbers they were after from overseas and that i should feel free to apply in the future.

So dont think they are taking any body in, you need to have exactly what they want, best of luck to anyone that tries it though

Hi mate,
Im new on here and don't know how to pm, but I am keen on transferring to NZ with the wife and kids.
i am in the royal artillery and am a SNCO working as a MT Sgt but soon to be RFM. How do I get in touch with the recruiting people for NZ to see if they are looking for my trade.
cheers for your help
robbo

They are recruiting now ,I have just applied they responded in a day got some more info from me and told me they would contact me early next week. Try there website all the info is on there.

I moved over about five years ago and it was definitely the right move for my family. I could wax lyrical all day about the outdoors, hunting, skiing etc. but you probably want to know more about the job. The NZ Army is OK but it takes some major adjustments from a 'big army' mentality that anyone from UK, CAN, AUS or USA will naturally have. There is a very small recruiting pool so the standard of soldier is IMHO not as good as the UK (or any of the others for that matter). There is a very 'peace keeping army' feel to it but a very real belief by most that the army has been on hard core combat operations for the last ten years in Bamiyan Province.

There are a few major issues facing the NZDF as a whole at the moment, the main ones are retention and morale. They can't manage the first and there is very little of the second to go around, but I'll concentrate on the army as this is an army-centric site. There have been a number of what can only be called PR disasters in the last few years that have seen huge attrition rates (28%+, which is pretty grim when you consider the size of the army) and it is now nearly hollow at the CPL-SGT level, this has resulted in a lowering of standards which are impacting at numerous levels.

You can google the details but the IMPing and COMPing debacle was the first. Then there was the pay cut that was dressed up as a pay rise (unless you're an officer who got a good increase across the board). The increase in service housing rents to 'market levels' which saw an embarrassing u-turn because soldiers couldn't afford to live on the patch in Burnham due to the rents being raised to Christchurch rates (through the roof because of the lack of housing for rent post earthquakes). Degradation of service conditions until there are practically none . Safety in training is fairly poor (death of Pte. Ross is just one example). The withdrawal from all operational theatres except Sinai and a few UN observer posts for officers also had a major impact on retention.

The army went to a Bde structure two years ago with three manoeuvre units ( QAMR, 1 RNZIR and 2/1 RNZIR). QAMR can field only one Sqn at any time, 1 RNZIR has just made a Coy from scratch from a basic training intake which I think means it now has three Coys and 2/1 has just two rifle Coys. There is a Regt of guns that haven't fired a shot in anger since Vietnam two CSS Bns that are massively under strength, a Sig Regt that is closer to a Sqn in size etc. etc. The result is overstretch and there is no direction or ideas on how to deal with the issues.

Wages are OK but the cost of living is high when compared to the UK, most people with kids need to have a second income. Service housing is not too good, especially in the winter but there is currently an upgrade programme that will see all houses insulated, carpeted and having a second heat source but it is a slow process.

There is no career structure, there are currently WO1s who have been at that rank since before I joined the British Army in the early 1990s and they just move from job to job, but all corps are rank capped so there is a bit of a glass ceiling at WO2. There are no promotion boards so promotion is dependant on whether your boss likes you or not. There is no LE commissioning, if you commission from the ranks you become a general list officer and have attend all the coursing that DE officers attend which means you are generally commissioned as a Lt. and have to play catch up which is why there are so many old and bold WO1s.

I may have come across as pretty negative but the reality is, if you want to come to NZ the army is an easy way to get in. You pay to move yourself (unless you are head-hunted) so there is no return of service other than the three months required for your visa obligations and it only takes three months to get out. If you want to have a rewarding second career in the army prepare to be a bit disappointed.

Thanks for telling it like it is. May save some disappointments.