Transfer to Adf- general questions.

Hi, I was wondering a few things about transferring, does anyone know the pay in the aus army?
What are the interviews like? Informal? Formal? Do the whole family take part? I heard you have to give some sort of presentation to everyone?
If you get accepted and are on the move over, is it recommended to have a lot of savings to get by?
What are qtrs like? Is it 'patches' like here or are you mixed in with locals? Does rent for qtrs come straight out of pay? What is the rent like? What about schooling, how does that work , do you just get given a space in the local schools?
Everyone says how lovely it is there, but are there any pitfalls? An honest opinion would be great on this.
We are sending off EOI, but worried it all sounds too good to be true?
For my husband, he'd like to know what it's actually like in the aus army in comparison to British army? Morale? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
PP x

Glass Jaw

Swinger
OK, here goes...

Can't tell you anything about the interviews, etc. Can tell you the following:

- Savings will help, obviously, especially for priority items such as getting a car or paying fees for schools and such. So you know, you will 99% need to have a car, unless you get really lucky and have someone you can car pool too and from work everyday with. Believe it or not, most families have two cars (his and hers!). I would not rely on public transport to and from work for any reason, as mostly it does not cover a lot of areas.

- Quarters. Some places still have houses "behind the wire", but most places are now mixed civilian or purpose built suburbs away from the base, but this all depends on where you end up as to what is available. Also, if nothing is available or suitable, you can get your own place and the army will provide "rental assistance' for you. Payment for them comes out of pay direct. Obviously electricity, internet, etc are still up to you, but water and utilities will also come out of pay. The rent itself depends on the classification of property. Try www.dha.gov.au for more details.

- Schooling is based on "zones" for what are called the public schools (where most of us peons went!), though "private" schools are based on ability to pay fees and entrance tests. Religious schools also have their own way of doing things too with interviews and such.

- Pitfalls: Not quite sure what you mean by this one, but some things to bear in mind are as follows. No pension, but you get what is called "superannuation", with ADF being amongst the best schemes in the country. Work is the same hours every day and the same structure. Early knock offs are rare. Due to distances, it is rare that people go home for lunch, but take it with them to work or eat in their respective mess. There are also less social events and such, people have a tendency to either get together with people outside work they are friends with or make their own life around where they live, whether it be with church, neighbours, sports or whatever. If you're worried, there are loads of laterals transferees over there, so you can find someone from home if you are pining to talk to one of "your own".

- As for what it is like...well, its different, but many things are the same. It's kind of hard to list and talk about everything that's not the same and such, but I would say don't expect a revolutionary difference. In many ways, it depends on what you want out of it. Sounds cliché, but its true!

Hope that helps.

I agree with all Glass Jaw posted, and would add one word: Distance.

Australia is huge. Everyone knows, but you don't realise until you live in it. That has three impacts:

Training areas are huge. Until you see them you cant grasp how big some are. Areas like shoalwater Bay dwarf European countries.

Distance between bases. You can be posted to Holsworthy Barracks in Sydney one cycle, then Robinson Barracks Darwin the next. That's like Catterick to Moscow. And you may move every three years. The UK weather of Anglsea Barracks in Hobart one cycle, the tropical Lavarack barracks the next.

Thirdly, as Glass Jaw says, public transport is crap, and the bases are huge (we have a lot of land) you will need a car or probably two. Or a motorbike,

And you won't transfer. You will terminate your Service in the British Army and subsequently join the ADF.

You will have to understand the following in you Citizen Test:
Aussie Rules Football.
Drinking weak beer.
What a Baggy Green Cap is.

Good luck mate!

ironr4tions

Old-Salt
I'm at the board in a week or so. Bit of a random question... How long does the offer (if received) stay open for?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads