• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Transfer to AAC Groundcrew

I am currently a REME VM Class 2 and have done nearly 5 years service (almost 4 in trade) and absolutely HATE the job. I have wanted to transfer for quite a while now and I have already voiced my feelings to my boss and the RCMO has been informed. There are no vacancies at the moment on the OAVL (vacancies list) only for pilots. I have also been told that numbers may be too high to warrant a successful transfer which is understandable or REME could turn round and say no but its still not what I want to hear especially after showing interest and enthusiasm! I intend to go for Groundcrew then aviation crewman ideally. Groundcrew was my 2nd choice when joining up so its not a recent thought to change, but what I would much rather be doing, and I find that sort of thing interesting much more so than VMing!

I am told that this is still possible so hope is not lost. Any light on the subject would be GREATLY appreciated, and any info on the current numbers or recruiting limits for AAC Groundcrew would be amazing, thanks.

What rank are you? If you're a LCpl with a recommend for Cpl you could apply directly for pilot training.

LCpl waiting to do PNCO (so only acting) probably in September, but I would like to start Groundcrew, then aviation crewman, and a possible maybe for pilot in years to come should I wish to try for that. I wouldn't say no even if I was to go down to Airtrooper.

Good luck with the transfer-request. I hear on the grapevine that the post may be over-subscribed.

Last edited:
I am currently a REME VM Class 2 and have done nearly 5 years service (almost 4 in trade) and absolutely HATE the job. I have wanted to transfer for quite a while now and I have already voiced my feelings to my boss and the RCMO has been informed. There are no vacancies at the moment on the OAVL (vacancies list) only for pilots. I have also been told that numbers may be too high to warrant a successful transfer which is understandable or REME could turn round and say no but its still not what I want to hear especially after showing interest and enthusiasm! I intend to go for Groundcrew then aviation crewman ideally. Groundcrew was my 2nd choice when joining up so its not a recent thought to change, but what I would much rather be doing, and I find that sort of thing interesting much more so than VMing!

I am told that this is still possible so hope is not lost. Any light on the subject would be GREATLY appreciated, and any info on the current numbers or recruiting limits for AAC Groundcrew would be amazing, thanks.

I am guessing that having done four years now that you will be quite close to being loaded onto class 1 course. If you attend and pass class 1 course you will have a 2 year return of service to complete. This is a relatively new policy, so I am not sure if it is two years in role (Cl 1 tradesman) or two years within wider army. I (current REME) undertook a career course in 2011 that had a return of service period. This tied me into a specific job type and role. Glasgow warned at the time that this would take us off the radar for OCE/OVAL jobs for the foreseeable future.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Royal Air Force 13
J RLC 2
Greens Aviation 9