Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer to AAC Aircrew from RN?

Greens

War Hero
Does anyone have information regarding wether it is possible to transfer to the AAC as Aircrew from the RN? I have searched extensively with regards to the BR and transfer rules, however I cannot find any information regarding transfer particulars to the AAC.

I assume you have to be at least a Leading Hand before this is possible?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

When you say 'Aircrew', do you mean pilot? I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine Killick, as you suggest, would be the minimum. It has been done before, many, many years ago. The chap was already an FAA aircrewman and transferred as a PO (although I seem to remember that he failed in his attempt to be an AAC pilot). It's been done slightly more recently by an RAF Cpl, so there's hope for anybody.

I think, whatever your intent is, you'd be best off contacting someone in the know at Middle Wallop by telephone.

I'm sure someone like @Victorian_Major would be able to furnish you with the contact details. Give them a call, what have you got to lose?

Why not Junglie AcMN?

Ah, if he wants to go up diddly up as a stick monkey, I'm sure he'll have lots of fun.

When you say 'Aircrew', do you mean pilot? I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine Killick, as you suggest, would be the minimum. It has been done before, many, many years ago. The chap was already an FAA aircrewman and transferred as a PO (although I seem to remember that he failed in his attempt to be an AAC pilot). It's been done slightly more recently by an RAF Cpl, so there's hope for anybody.

I think, whatever your intent is, you'd be best off contacting someone in the know at Middle Wallop by telephone.

I'm sure someone like @Victorian_Major would be able to furnish you with the contact details. Give them a call, what have you got to lose?
I know someone who was a JT, gave PDB golf lessons whilst in the FI in 85, got his ppl through the UAS by same golf lessons, got out, stooged about managing a golf supplier for a while and turned up in the Leuchars armoury with a light blue beret whilst on his course. This was a long time ago and fair play to him.

"I know someone who was a JT, gave PDB golf lessons whilst in the FI in 85, got his ppl through the UAS by same golf lessons, got out, stooged about managing a golf supplier for a while and turned up in the Leuchars armoury with a light blue beret whilst on his course. This was a long time ago and fair play to him."

Finished his career as an AAC Major, Apache QHI about a year or two ago. Most certainly did well!

(He used to work for my dad when he was a young armourer and ironically was my next door neighbour when he first finished his pilots course)