Transfer request while signing off ?

Is it possible to put in a transfer request and sign off simultaneously ?
I first and foremost am sure I want to stay in the Army , just in a different unit , doing a different role. I am also 100% sure I want out of my current unit , if that means civvy st then so be it (not the end of the world). Hence my question.
During my time in my Bn , very very few lads have successfully transferred out .. usually follows a 12 month format of : stalling , loss of paperwork etc until the bloke gives up and accepts hes staying put or signing off. I cant go through that charade only to then sign off and basically be stuck here for essentially 2 years. I could grizz out 12 months here max.
So as contradictory as my question sounds is it possible ?
Thanks

I have transferred corps (a long time ago). IMO do not use the threat of leaving as leverage. Your current unit will not give a shit. Some units see a transfer out as the ultimate betrayal, some are more relaxed. Be prepared for the former, you are about to cause them a massive embuggerance..
If you want to transfer, take advice, go to the transfer shows, and get some buy in from a prospective corps. They will want to see you commitment. “I hate the current bunch” is not enough. Get a sponsor, be focused on a new capbadge and just be persistent. If your new corps want you, and your old one does not, then get your CV brushed down, do your homework and get on with it. The new guys want someone who has a direction.
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice and reply (appreciate it).
Its not a threat , I know the COC always assumes that but I am quite happy to get out and go on civvy st , know lads use it as a threat for promotion , postings etc but I genuinely would be thrilled to be getting out .. its just its my second choice , id rather be in a different unit.
I havent been to a transfer fair yet (havent made my intentions known here yet) but I have looked around , done a bit of research , chosen a corp (RE) , two units within the RE id like to be posted to and two trades id like to do. 100% agree "I hate my unit" is not a good reason , that is not my reason , I have well thought out genuine reasons . Had some great times at my current unit but those times have gone and its time to move on.
12 months is the max i could hack being here now , hence asking is it possible to put both requests in together.
So whatever the outcome I would be out of my Bn doing something different at a maximum of 12 months.

6 years , Lcpl
7 in October , due to do juniors in august but am not interested now and want the transfer or to be out.

Last edited:
OK. I’m no expert, but I think that may help. Find something you want to do and go for it. I don’t know how many job interviews you have been to, but treat it as that. You must sell yourself to your new regiment or corps. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice and reply (appreciate it).
Its not a threat , I know the COC always assumes that but I am quite happy to get out and go on civvy st , know lads use it as a threat for promotion , postings etc but I genuinely would be thrilled to be getting out .. its just its my second choice , id rather be in a different unit.
I havent been to a transfer fair yet (havent made my intentions known here yet) but I have looked around , done a bit of research , chosen a corp (RE) , two units within the RE id like to be posted to and two trades id like to do. 100% agree "I hate my unit" is not a good reason , that is not my reason , I have well thought out genuine reasons . Had some great times at my current unit but those times have gone and its time to move on.
12 months is the max i could hack being here now , hence asking is it possible to put both requests in together.
So whatever the outcome I would be out of my Bn doing something different at a maximum of 12 months.
Why would the RE take you if your just going to leave in 12 months anyway? They would be better off taking somebody who is going to stay on after they have invested in training them.

Why would the RE take you if your just going to leave in 12 months anyway? They would be better off taking somebody who is going to stay on after they have invested in training them.
Agreed ...

But thats not what I am doing or looking to do. Essentially I am looking to put both requests in , giving my RCMO 10-12 to help me through a transfer.
A mate of mine who did a posting in an AFCO told me you can do it. He told me he has a friend who did it .. did his resettlement just like anyone else all while transferring and got his transfer. Transfer gets accepted then you rescind your sign off and transfer across. If it doesnt get accepted or not accepted in time before you re last day in the Army then you leave like everyone else who signs off.
To be clear , if I transferred to the RE I would do a minimum of 6 years if not a full career.

Agreed ...

But thats not what I am doing or looking to do. Essentially I am looking to put both requests in , giving my RCMO 10-12 to help me through a transfer.
A mate of mine who did a posting in an AFCO told me you can do it. He told me he has a friend who did it .. did his resettlement just like anyone else all while transferring and got his transfer. Transfer gets accepted then you rescind your sign off and transfer across. If it doesnt get accepted or not accepted in time before you re last day in the Army then you leave like everyone else who signs off.
To be clear , if I transferred to the RE I would do a minimum of 6 years if not a full career.
Oh right, it read like you wanted to get out in 12 regardless. I dont know how they will feel about you hedging your bets like this, it depends on lots of factors.

People who have signed off and then changed their minds have had not been able to sign back on again, this forum has a few of them complaining about it. Mostly it seems like they were jack wasters so if your in good standing then maybe you will get away with it.

Apologies for the confusion.
Thats what my mate told me but I wont change my mind , I would be a very happy man to be getting out .. I would just be a happIER in the RE. No discipline issue , decent enough SJARS (nothing spectacular but nothing bad either bit of a grey man) 32 in july (which I would see as a possible negative).

Apologies for the confusion.
Thats what my mate told me but I wont change my mind , I would be a very happy man to be getting out .. I would just be a happIER in the RE. No discipline issue , decent enough SJARS (nothing spectacular but nothing bad either bit of a grey man) 32 in july (which I would see as a possible negative).
By all means investigate this through the official channels. If that does not work out then signing off and back on again after a short break could be another way in.

If you're happy to stay in the army then i'd recommend staying in the army. Stick at it and be persistent until you get what you want out of it.

Is it possible to put in a transfer request and sign off simultaneously ?
I first and foremost am sure I want to stay in the Army , just in a different unit , doing a different role. I am also 100% sure I want out of my current unit , if that means civvy st then so be it (not the end of the world). Hence my question.
During my time in my Bn , very very few lads have successfully transferred out .. usually follows a 12 month format of : stalling , loss of paperwork etc until the bloke gives up and accepts hes staying put or signing off. I cant go through that charade only to then sign off and basically be stuck here for essentially 2 years. I could grizz out 12 months here max.
So as contradictory as my question sounds is it possible ?
Thanks
I recently transferred from a GCC role into the REME. I had previously tried to transfer and been hit with a brick wall, this led me to sign off.

Signing off seemed to focus the mind of the RCMO and my transfer finally went through and now enjoying learning a new trade.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Royal Air Force 2
Y Army Reserve 21
Yeoman_dai Aviation 7