transfer of music/pics/documents from a old PC

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have decided that no longer really use the old desk top which has been with us since 2007!

It has a heap of stuff we wish to keep, iTunes library and photos mainly.

Total amount of data just over 51GB.

Recommendations for best options for transfer and back up?

I see 64GB Sandisk flash drives for £20 and 1TB Toshiba hard drives for £45 are available on Amazon.

You mean you don't already have this backed up?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You mean you don't already have this backed up?
Nope! I know, silly of me. Hence why asking for best options now.

Why not do away with any form of external storage.

Just network the new machine to the old one and transfer all your data over your home network. Then you will only have to copy it once.

Then take the drive out of the old machine and stick it in a £10 enclosure and use as a backup drive.

1TB Toshiba hard drives for £45 are available on Amazon.
Twenty five years ago I worked for a Septic software company.

We were in discussions with Walmart about building a data warehouse which would capture every sale they made, where, when etc. and allow them to drill down into their business.

The project was doable but floundered on cost. Walmart could not afford the 1TB disk storage their billions of transactions required.

1991: One of the world's largest companies cannot afford 1TB.
2017: yours for £45

Impressive.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why not do away with any form of external storage.

Just network the new machine to the old one and transfer all your data over your home network. Then you will only have to copy it once.

Then take the drive out of the old machine and stick it in a £10 enclosure and use as a backup drive.
Old machine's not linked to network or internet due to a broken doogle thing! It's so old before internal wifi was a thing

Extract HDD, put into external enclosure. Connect to new PC and copy, then format and set up auto back up to do a full copy every so often.

Pop down to Tesco and buy a backup drive with USB connection. I take it you have USB on the desktop. Cheap and cheerful. You can even get a small raid setup and protect your data. When you have the data copied across you can use it as data backup on your current machine.

Old machine's not linked to network or internet due to a broken doogle thing! It's so old before internal wifi was a thing
Ah. OK.

Then do what @olafthered suggested in #7.

Stick the HDD in an enclosure, copy to new box, move all files on external drive into one directory "old PC backup".

Ready made backup and a repository for anything you might have missed in the transfer.

Agree with all above, it's what I did with an old laptop, though the 2.5" IDE enclosure was quite a bit more expensive than 'normal' size SATA(?) enclosures. If the desktop's that old, it'll probably be IDE. And I also found that I couldn't stick it all on one of my camera's 32GB SD cards because the biggest the laptop would recognise was 2GB.

ETA, the old laptop drive is still around, used as a handy drive to keep the scout stuff on, so records etc can be passed from one leader to another - big enough for all that sort of stuff, just not loads of photos, etc, and harder to mislay than a usb stick.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Extract HDD, put into external enclosure. Connect to new PC and copy, then format and set up auto back up to do a full copy every so often.
I did exactly that a couple of weeks ago. Old PC died. New PC didn't have a spare HDD bay or connections (but bizarrely did have a spare SSD bay and connections). Son in law builds servers. Lent me his SATA caddy, plugged into new PC, left to whirr and click and copy to a backup directory on the new HDD. Occasionally told it to skip memory dumps, etc that it couldn't copy.

Moved the data from the backup directory into a position on the new PC equivalent (allowing that the old HDD was the primary c: drive, but on the new PC the HDD is the d: data drive), deleting about 2/3, which was the old operating system, Windows service packs etc (going back to Windows 7 that had originally been on the old PC).

About 150GB kept out of 450GB.

Still got the old drive as offline backup. At some point I'll get my own SATA caddy and tidy up the old drive.

Job's good.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Twenty five years ago I worked for a Septic software company.

We were in discussions with Walmart about building a data warehouse which would capture every sale they made, where, when etc. and allow them to drill down into their business.

The project was doable but floundered on cost. Walmart could not afford the 1TB disk storage their billions of transactions required.

1991: One of the world's largest companies cannot afford 1TB.
2017: yours for £45

Impressive.
Moore's law in action.

Flash drive in the first instance. Then a second one to hold your data off site. Then worry about some of the other ideas posted here.
Nope! I know, silly of me. Hence why asking for best options now.

Have decided that no longer really use the old desk top which has been with us since 2007!

It has a heap of stuff we wish to keep, iTunes library and photos mainly.

Total amount of data just over 51GB.

Recommendations for best options for transfer and back up?

I see 64GB Sandisk flash drives for £20 and 1TB Toshiba hard drives for £45 are available on Amazon.
Not possible. You'll have to print all your music out and re-type it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer