Transfer From Royal Marines to Army

I haven't enlisted. I'm debating between RMC and Hcav and was wondering whether I could do some time in RMC and then later join Hcav.
The two are so completely different in everything that makes no sense.
Going the other way might but if you are good enough for the Marines why go for something lesser later on in your career?

I would hazard a guess that the number of people who have successfully put themselves through RM basic and subsequently transferred to HCAV is vanishingly small. That's not to say it is impossible, but I would bet my bottom dollar that the RM would take a dim view and do everything they could to retain you.

They're fundamentally different jobs, it's like joining as an RA gunner and then transferring to RAF chef. Or RN Marine Engineering Mechanic to RE bricklayer.

My advice would be to narrow down your career choices to something rather more closely aligned. Eg cavalry or artillery. RM or Infantry. REME tech or R SIGNALS CSE. You certainly don't want to be saying "I'd like to do three years as a Mne, and then transfer to the Army. The recruiting CSgt will think "why the hell would we spend money on training the guy if he's going to transfer out anyway". It takes close to a year to train RM recruits.

If Cdo training is your bag but really want to be in the Army, then you might consider joining a Corps that has units/personnel attached to the RM. Eg RLC, R SIGNALS, RE. But may as well join the RM directly, unless you really want the trade in whichever Army Corps you might choose.

Bottom line is figure out what you want to do. Best of luck.

Why not do a Equine Advanced Level Apprenticeship or Horse Management Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma.
Then apply to the Army as a RAVC soldier and look after horses that way best of both worlds?

Veterinary Technician RAVC

Phase 1 training first then You'll progress to your trade training at the Defence Animal Centre at Melton Mowbray. You'll learn veterinary nursing skills, military-dog-handling skills and how to manage veterinary equipment.

Animals – mostly dogs and horses – are an important part of Army life. As a Veterinary Technician, you take care of them alongside our highly skilled Army Vets. You work all over the world and deal with everything from injured search dogs to sick cavalry horses. You could be preparing an operating theatre one day and nursing hospitalized animals the next. It’s great experience which can help you get valuable qualifications, and a job if you return to civilian life. When you’re not building your skills and career, you’ll have time to enjoy sports and make some amazing friends.

Last edited:
You appear to underestimate the desire that is required to succeed in getting through CTCRM.

The sheer pain, discomfort and misery that has to be endured will only be matched by your determination.

And luck. The fittest and hardiest of souls can and do succumb to injury.

Survive all that and the world class brain washing and then walk away?

Unlikely.

Back when knights were bold and sheep were frightened, it involved complete discharge from current serving arm (either by PVR or, on occasion early termination would be granted based on the premise of continued service), then enlistment in new arm of service. This process could be done concurrently. This from personal experience back in the time of the CW. However, once you have learnt the words to "A Life on the Ocean Wave", you are done mate.

Do the RM still have Vikings? Or was that a Herrick requirement only?

Whatever you do it might be a good idea to change your forum name to something less recognisable and searchable, unless that is already your nom de guerre.

Latest Threads