Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer from infantry to ramc

To put it bluntly, I was lied to and had my career destroyed because i wanted to help in the army and some recruiting officer had a quota to fill. I'm out of cpd, out of date and out of patience.

I also suggest that you'll not be successful with the HCPC either.
One of the other things which will really piss on your cornflakes, is that unless you're on the HCPC register, you must not describe yourself as or imply that you're a Paramedic. It's a criminal offence. I'll bet a pound to a pinch of shite, that someone high a mighty will be waiting to leap all over you about that, especially if you piss people off.
Furthermore, even if you did get to go RAMC, as a CMT, your clinical work would fall far short of that required of a UK register paramedic, so it would be incredibly difficult to maintain your registration.
Not too sure what the answer to the problem is for you, but it does sound like you've been well and truly shafted.
In civvy st, if an employer has effectively lied to you to get you through the door, only to move the goal posts once you've signed a binding contract, you'd have a very strong case under the employment legislation. Surely, there must be a similar course for grievance within HMF?
My advice for what it's worth, is to bin the Army if you're able, and get into an NHS ambo trust as an ECA. You can then consolidate your experience and AREMT training whilst making your case for registration to the HCPC.
Good luck....

Last edited:
Surely you'd have a case if you could show that you were mislead during the recruiting process? (weren't we all though?)

CO's interview and explain your case maybe....Failing that, go bat-shit crazy with a mess tin and a bugle whilst wearing your girlfriends dental floss thong outside the RSM's office. That may bring your case to their attention...

Blackprawn

Swinger
raw.gif

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Like I said before put in an application and follow it through. Make the army systems work for you. Paramedic is an RAMC trade and paramedics get sufficient clinic placements to allow them to keep up thier registration. I'm fairly sure that if you were accepted you would be given sufficient opportunities to complete such training as you require to register with the HCPC.

Are you aware of the Defence Medic trade? Perhaps someone on Arrse who is an expert could run through it for you.

Like I said before put in an application and follow it through. Make the army systems work for you. Paramedic is an RAMC trade and paramedics get sufficient clinic placements to allow them to keep up thier registration. I'm fairly sure that if you were accepted you would be given sufficient opportunities to complete such training as you require to register with the HCPC.

Are you aware of the Defence Medic trade? Perhaps someone on Arrse who is an expert could run through it for you.

Actually, not wishing to sound pedantic, but Paramedic isn't a recognised profession within the military. For paras that are with the RAMC, their trade is CMT. Similarly, until very recently indeed, paras who serve in the RAF, are RAF medics.

I've met paras that are RAMC and they report that they have very little support and if anything, some of the senior ranks who will never be paras as long as they've got a hole in their arrse, seem to give them a hard time.

Hopefully things are changing, but it doesn't sound particularly conducive for progressive clinical recognition and practice.

Sundog is correct re Army paramedics.

The RAF has HCPC paramedics, but they start as Medics and if selected do a paramedic science degree and placements. The RAuxAF recruits qualified paramedics.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

spaz

LE
I'm conscious we're hearing one side of a story but if it's as you say and you have had no joy during interviews with your OC and RCMO, formally request a CO's interview. If it doesn't happen consider a service complaint.

Sundog is correct re Army paramedics.

The RAF has HCPC paramedics, but they start as Medics and if selected do a paramedic science degree and placements. The RAuxAF recruits qualified paramedics.

Very true, but their trade is RAF medic, not Paramedic, which is a tad insulting given that 4626 actively target paras for recruitment, who then end up J/NCO RAF medics. Things will inevitably change, but there are still to many military medic S/NCO's that would never cut the mustard as paras...it's a power thingy.

I've had this row at the highest level, and the somewhat disappointingly, couldn't get people to accept that paras and CMTs are not the same beast and have different allbeit similar scopes of practice.

Trade transfers go through RAMC Recruiting in Camberley but they won't be able to exert any influence on your application. Indeed, they won't interfere in the CoC as has been said already. Not much help to you I'm afraid but might save you some time and energy. The SC system is there for people who have been wronged. Use it, that's what it's there for.

Very true, but their trade is RAF medic, not Paramedic, which is a tad insulting given that 4626 actively target paras for recruitment, who then end up J/NCO RAF medics. Things will inevitably change, but there are still to many military medic S/NCO's that would never cut the mustard as paras...it's a power thingy.

I've had this row at the highest level, and the somewhat disappointingly, couldn't get people to accept that paras and CMTs are not the same beast and have different allbeit similar scopes of practice.

It's always moved slowly. When I joined the trade was Medical Secretarial, which then changed to Medical Assistant. On promotion to corporal we became Med Admin, no matter what clinical skills we had. The official answer was that our clinical skills were shown by our 'Q'(qualification) annotations, such as Q-ML-FNA (aeromed), Q-ML-ECG (the hardest 5 weeks of my life learning electrocardiography and memorising 20-odd arrythmias), Q-ML-FMA (field medical assistant - required for working with the Rocks, Harriers or Helos). That there was no Q annotation for those of us who were the first to gain paramedic skills didn't seem to matter.

At least the RAF paramedics have a paramedic-qualified trade sponsor now .

As a thought, what about an inter-service transfer, so instead of going RAMC, go RAF Medic, who are definitely ahead of the game when compared to paras and RAMC.....just a thought.

Your CoC will sit up and take notice once you start making noises about SCs and the like, your CO will want it wrapped up sharpish and your Bde G1 people will get very excited. You won't win any friends in your unit because they'll just take a defensive viewpoint and act like small children caught with their paws in the sweetie jar. Then again, who cares. You've been buggered about and you have every right to apply to transfer so all bets are off as far I'm (you're) concerned.

Despite my spinal reflex for anything crabular, their options for qualified paramedics are actually better for both regular and reserve. Worth giving some thought to, if you can stand being in the RAF of course.

:twisted:

AREMT = walter

HCPC is what is important for the UK

as the OP is Irish PHECC Advanced Para maps pretty well to HCPC ( PHECC Paramedics are closer to Techs)

Further to what others and myself have advised, what are you suggesting he do then?

I don't remember him saying he was PHECC just AREMT. I've already said that he'll struggle with the HCPC, but he needs advice.

Mine to him is to bin the infantry, possibly even the Army and start again properly.

Latest Threads