Transfer being delayed - any advice appreciated

Hi,

My son is currently serving in Germany but months ago it was agreed for him to transfer to a different regiment and this would involve a move back to the UK.

The move date was agreed and he prepared everything to move and was to start at the new regiment on the 1st Sept. However, for reasons that he still hasn’t been told about the move wasn’t allowed to happen and for 2 months now every time he asks about it he’s fobbed off and just keeps getting told the paper work isn’t done.

The Captain of his new regiment even had to phone him and ask why he hasn’t turned up for duty. Turns out his current regiment didn’t even bother to tell the new regiment and they’re saying that they can’t do anything and it has to be his current regiment that completes the move.

Now I appreciated being messed about and lied to seem to be the norm in the Army but my question is what (if anything) can he do about it and is there any way to get this paperwork completed? If this move doesn’t happen he will leave the Army which would be a shame.

Thanks

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I can give you nothing useful except this.

On enlistment in 1975 I was encouraged to seek a role more pertinent to my skills than tank crewman. Foolishly I listened and within 88 pensionable days I knew I was wrong and left.

Almost immediately I applied to re-enlist. This time I ensured I got a copper-bottomed guarantee that I'd be allowed to join the corps of my choice.

My re-enlistment was never going to be as straightforward as the first time, but it dragged. Eventually when I walked in yet again to ask why (first time I'd been in the Army's grasp within days) the Careers Office informed me that my previous corps training unit were dragging their feet with the paperwork.

When I lost patience, I wrote a polite letter (not what the Army calls a Formal Letter: I was a civilian) to the Commanding Officer. Within the week I got the call from the ACIO that my re-enlistment was on.

Hope this helps.

Thank you but he's already been in the Army for 6 years (1 of those at the AFC) so I don't think your experince of re-enlisting would work.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
No I don't recommend him re-enlisting at all. The Army hasn't the capacity to handle that. Apologies for giving that impression.

If it were my son, I'd personally write a letter to his CO. You are a civvy. Your son is going, They are delaying his departure. They cannot touch you; there is no point in them getting to him: his new unit is waiting for him.

It may not be the CO's personal fault, but it is normal for official communication to go through the office of the CO, even if we all know that the mail is opened by a clerk (maybe the Chief Clerk? I cannot remember), because most of it only addressed to the CO because that's how it is.

You drop a polite letter to the CO as his peer (he is not your senior, he is your son's), and you will know that he is aware of what is going wrong and can expect some sort of action.

I dare say that others will have differing opinions.

elovabloke

ADC
Terrible advise. He's been in long enough to know were and how to go about resolving this. Best for mum to stay out of it.

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
No I don't recommend him re-enlisting at all. The Army hasn't the capacity to handle that. Apologies for giving that impression.

If it were my son, I'd personally write a letter to his CO. You are a civvy. Your son is going, They are delaying his departure. They cannot touch you; there is no point in them getting to him: his new unit is waiting for him.

It may not be the CO's personal fault, but it is normal for official communication to go through the office of the CO, even if we all know that the mail is opened by a clerk (maybe the Chief Clerk? I cannot remember), because most of it only addressed to the CO because that's how it is.

You drop a polite letter to the CO as his peer (he is not your senior, he is your son's), and you will know that he is aware of what is going wrong and can expect some sort of action.

I dare say that others will have differing opinions.

Not a good idea IMHO. A letter from a parent saying they are worried their son/daughter has PTSD because of x behaviour on leave is fine. A letter whining about internal processes....? Not so much.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

O/p, judging from your user name, you're this soldiers mum, that right? Is his dad still on the scene? It's just that I've got loads of great advice to give but would prefer to pop round and give to you in person, if that works for you?

cymraeg

War Hero
Get him to walk into his bosses office and piss on his desk as a sign of protest.

He will be back in the uk in no time and stationed in the Colchester area

Given that a Capt at the next unit has asked where he is, things must have been formalised.

Your lad should ask his Tp Cdr for a formal interview and ask what is occurring. He SHOULDN'T be getting fobbed off with 'oh, the paperwork isn't done'.

If he is fobbed off with this interview or he isn't happy with the results, then he may escalate it to his Bty cdr/ie a Major.

As a top tip, and based on a tale I was told by a mate. Make sure he photocopies any signed paperwork he receives. If paperwork is 'lost' he wont have to start from scratch.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
Your lad should ask his Tp Cdr for a formal interview and ask what is occurring. He SHOULDN'T be getting fobbed off with 'oh, the paperwork isn't done'.

alternatively, translate the following from the OP: "for reasons that he still hasn’t been told about the move wasn’t allowed to happen"

entirely possible that matey-boy knows exactly what is going on, but hasn't been completely straight with mum :)

There is that CR, it does seem strange that 'another' unit's captain was phoning up asking where he was.

However I am aware of a case in which a young lad was posted. He didn't check his notifications so didn't move, but his new unit posted him as AWOL. His old unit didn't know he'd been posted.

If Mummy suggests he as for a formal interview, i'd imagine the story will become clearer.

Latest Threads