Transfer before or after basic?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by EtonRifles, Dec 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive looked about on here but cant find the answer.

Basically ive got a date for basic, coming up in a few months at catterick for the infantry, but im now considering joining the paras, as my fitness has increased alot.

Does anyone know the best way to go about this, or if anyone has done so before?

2. I would suggest you would need to do selection again.
  3. As an Ex Depot Instructor this is easy enough to do when you get to Basic. However this may upset the Regt you were going to join as they will most likely be your Instructors when you reaching Catterick and they may or may not be as helpful or unhelpful when you get there in assisting you with this. My advise is tip your hat to the ACIO and inform them of your decision and they should place you elsewhere as you wish.

Top tip though Civilian fitness and ours is vastly different and Para's fitness is a beast, you may think you are fit now but I had many a Rct turn up claiming to be able to run there mile and a half in 7 minutes. They soon found out that they were not as fit as they claimed to be although were by the time they finished training.

Anyway whatever you decide , good luck with your training .
  4. What were you going to join before?

Now the other bit, If you were going Infantry, why not stay with the unit you were going for, the extra fitness will help you with Basic, and in time to come you can always look at other options, if you have what it takes.

Remember if you now decide to try for the Para route, there is a chance that you may have to go back and re-do all the tests and selection, and that means you won't get into the Army as quick as you were going to.

Good luck which ever route you take.
  5. Thanks for the advice lads.

Im currently hoping to join the rifles, as it was my first choice, but then i started looking at the paras in more detail and thought that was more appealing. Although i do know its definatly one of the two i want to join, im
    about 50/50 at the moment, thats why im thinking it might be better to stick with the rifles for now, and see how i get on in a few months?

Thats why i was wondering if anyone else has had the same dilema, and managed to change reg, during basic.
  6. Just dont badge over from the RMP to the Paras.

You have to wear your Red RMP beret until you get your wings and can swap it for a Para one

Not a pleasant experience, trust me!!!
  7. haha try that when you start training with the inf, the paras were told not to acknowledge anyone else while we were there so i'd do it before basic, or standby for grilling :lol: both by the paras if they learn you started off inf and by the inf if you tell them you wanna go para, the ******* were told even not to salut our officers or brace up to our NCO's... :evil: