Transexuality in the Armed Forces - Hansard

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by russkie, Apr 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Item from House of Commons - 3 April -08

dont know what the relevance to Poland is but Im sure someone will

Armed Forces: Transexuality
    Mr. Jack: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many transgender sergeants in the process of transition serving in the Army in Germany are (a) receiving medication for their condition in country and (b) have been deployed on exercise in Poland. [198202]

Mr. Bob Ainsworth: I am unable to provide this information as its release would breach the provisions of the Data Protection Act, specifically in regard to medical-in-confidence issues.

Mr. Jack: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence (1) whether the downgrading of a transgender officer
    3 Apr 2008 : Column 1209W
    to P7, (combat ineffective), can be determined solely on grounds of hormonal reasons; [198205]

(2) whether it is a requirement of army regulations that when an officer is downgraded to P7 (combat ineffective) they should be personally interviewed before a downgrading decision is reached. [198206]

Mr. Bob Ainsworth: Downgrading decisions are made by medical boards on a case by case basis taking into account all documentary evidence provided by medical staffs. As part of this process, it is normal practice for the individual to appear before the medical board unless they are either unable or decline to attend.

2. Self inflicted wound?

3. Self inflicted axe wound?

4. Why would anyone want to ask this question ??

5. Good job I'd just put my tea down!

I was actually trying to make a serious point. If you're employed at public expense to be fit and combat effective and you then choose of your own free will to take a course of action that renders you ineffective why should you keep the job?

If a lifeguard at a public baths decides she'd always wanted to be one of the "plate lipped women" and becomes unable to do the job, should she be kept on?

[​IMG]

The Hormone addiction chosen by "transgender" people is a self inflicted disability.

6. I've e-mailed Mr Jack MP to ask that very question.

7. A 'transitioning' Sergeant in Germany, receiving medication for this condition, has been deployed on exercise to Poland and is so unhappy about it he has written to his MP. I wonder if this ploy works when deployed on operations?

8. From my experience of life gents and ex-gents, the last thing most people want who drone on about equality is to be treated as equals. By equality they usually mean to be made a special case.

9. Only if you are trying to become a hormonally unbalanced female.
    The whining complaint to it's MP shows the treatment must be working.
    When the transition is complete she/it will be able to judge the degree of its success by the amount of broken eggshells surrounding it as it sues the MOD for its hurt feelings.

10. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. Hang on - this is turning into a bashing session !! My point was that our ministers have better things to do.

12. So have our Sergeants.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Armed Forces: Transexuality
    Mr. Jack: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many transgender sergeants in the process of transition serving in the Army in Germany are (a) receiving medication for their condition in country and (b) have been deployed on exercise in Poland. [198202]

Mr. Bob Ainsworth: 253.

14. I somehow doubt that the MP who asked the question just thought it up over breakfast!

It's almost certainly been raised by a constituent and there probably is some point behind it that has not yet, if you'll excuse the term, come out.

My comment related to the question of Hormonal Therapy being incompatible with combat effectiveness and the issues surrounding this subject. A valid topic for serious discussion I think.

If it was in the NAAFI bar, sure I'd have a "bash", same as I would on any other topic.

15. If people want a gender change then good luck to them. They should get support as it must be a difficult time for them.

But if a service person deliberately takes a course of action to render them not fit for duty (operations) that is a different matter. I would include those who lead a lifestile of pies, fags and beer who can't be arrsed to pass a BPFA too.

How long is someone undeployable during the transition or is it permanent?