Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transcript from BBC Panorama programme;Fighting the Taliban.

Sven said:
Of course he isn't, He's never served
. . . . so he's got a fecking nerve - given his 'contribution' to the operations in AFG/IRQ - to use phrases like 'we're fighting'.

The troops are doing fighting. His contribution is that they're fighting according to a p1ss-poor plan in IRQ, and fighting without adequate resources or civil/economic/diplomatic support in AFG.

Is there any need for me to spell out my post any further? I am sorry it was lost on you the first time. 8)

Mr._Average

Old-Salt
Stonker said:
spike7451 said:
ANZAC_BISCUIT said:
-

Hey, here's a crazy idea. Why not just post a link to the actual video? Much more interesting that eight feet of text.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/6187660.stm

-

Simple,
A- Some people may not have B/Band.
B-The video link was'nt working when I posted.

For those who don't or who just plain missed it, it is due to be repeated in the small hours of Fri morning - 0025 -0105 local time. :D

Bloody hell.

Just watched it.

Being 169% civilian as I am, the things that struck me were how difficult the task seemed (simply being able to tell who is or is not 'taliban'), how professional and genuinely courageous the Marines were and lastly how pointless & futile it seemed. And I should stress that my last point is not in anyway to criticise the Marines (or any other unit) but to question why, as a political decision, we have sent our soldiers there to do that task.

I guess as voter and as someone who asks the military to do stuff in my name I just don't see the value of exposing you lot to that danger in that place.

I am, however, profoundly impressed that you go and behave with such professionalism & courage.

Sven

LE
Stonker said:
Sven said:
. . . . so he's got a fecking nerve - given his 'contribution' to the operations in AFG/IRQ - to use phrases like 'we're fighting'.

The troops are doing fighting. His contribution is that they're fighting according to a p1ss-poor plan in IRQ, and fighting without adequate resources or civil/economic/diplomatic support in AFG.

Is there any need for me to spell out my post any further? I am sorry it was lost on you the first time. 8)

They also serve who sit and wait perhaps??? Or he is expressing his support for the troops by talking that way. Or perhaps he is talking of WE as a nation. Whatever, its a little word to get worked up about.
Just watched the programme, and got the impression that whilst it showed what a sterling job the Booties were doing out there the programme was just another rather poor knocking job

pensionpointer

War Hero
Sven said:

Right, of course being a memeber of parliament, and minister of the Crown isn't service! More bollox I am afraid. they also serve who stay behind...

Not that I am a Blairite, but the blatant right-wingism of many ARRSERs astounds me!

We serve the Queen's Ministers who serve the people - if that is not what you are here to do sign off and go and walt in Iraq with a private sy firm. just because the people of this country chose to elect Labour you can't whinge and whine. If you don't like their policies, vote them out.

UQFEGD

pensionpointer said:
Sven said:

Right, of course being a memeber of parliament, and minister of the Crown isn't service! More bollox I am afraid. they also serve who stay behind...

Not that I am a Blairite, but the blatant right-wingism of many ARRSERs astounds me!

We serve the Queen's Ministers who serve the people - if that is not what you are here to do sign off and go and walt in Iraq with a private sy firm. just because the people of this country chose to elect Labour you can't whinge and whine. If you don't like their policies, vote them out.

UQFEGD

. . .a very small number of the people of this country chose to elect B'liar last time around, and his election was helped along by the government's careful re-adjustment of electoral boundaries to up Labour's chances. That alone makes it difficult to get rid of him.

A very large number of enfranchised people (me NOT included), disillusioned by the quality of politicians like him, (and indeed like the gutless self-seekers who make up the post-Thatcher Tories) chose not to vote at all.

It ain't much of a mandate.

That, however, is by the by. I take the simple view that this 'leader' is failing adequately to discharge his responsibilities vis-a-vis the British operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, and on that basis alone deserves contempt when he speaks of "we" during a photo opportunity like this.

Let me see him filmed with some of the wounded, and fulfilling his "whatever they need" pledge, and putting his boot up the arrse of DfID to deliver in AFG - maybe then I'll consider relenting.

As to 'right wing', I'd say many arrsers who are antagonistic to B'liar, are closer in their views to those of the Independent than to the Telegraph; doesn't seem right-wing to me. B'liar (late CND, now pro-Nukes), on the other hand, is a Tory in a red wrapper, isn't he?

spike7451

RIP
RIP
Stonker,
This was posted on the US Marines forum a couple of month's ago.Funny but I dont recall seeing it on the news or in the papers.

Blair pays tribute to dead marine
The prime minister has paid tribute to a Royal Marine killed in a suicide bombing in Afghanistan last week.

Gary Wright, 22, from Blanefield, Stirlingshire, died in an attack on a military convoy in Lashkar Gah, in Helmand Province.

Tony Blair described him as a fine soldier doing an extraordinary job.

Marine Wright served with Arbroath-based 45 Commando, whose members have been paid a visit by Defence Secretary Des Browne.

The unit has been in Afghanistan training the country's national army.

Armed forces

Speaking at the start of Prime Minister's Questions, Mr Blair said: "I'm sure that the whole house will join me in sending our deepest sympathy and condolences to the family and friends of Marine Gary Wright of the Royal Marines who was killed in Afghanistan last Thursday.

"He was a fine soldier, he was doing an extraordinary job and his country should be very proud of him."

Meanwhile, Mr Browne expressed his admiration for the job being done by British armed forces in the country.

He was speaking from the marine base at Camp Bastion in Helmand during a four-day visit to the region.

Mr Browne said: "British and Nato forces are standing shoulder to shoulder with their Afghan colleagues and have great respect for their courage and determination.

"They too have made many sacrifices for the future of Afghanistan. We remain committed to training and mentoring them as they develop their capabilities."

Sgt Gary Ellis, from Dundee, was badly injured in the incident which resulted in the death of Marine Wright last week.

Here's a link to the site thread & a few nice comments about ol' Tone!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36218

RIP Marine Wright.

It also seems that some of the Marines just dont get how much bLair is disliked over here.
Spike

spike7451 said:
Stonker,
This was posted on the US Marines forum a couple of month's ago.Funny but I dont recall seeing it on the news or in the papers.

The prime minister has paid tribute to a Royal Marine killed in a suicide bombing in Afghanistan last week.

Gary Wright, 22, from Blanefield, Stirlingshire, died in an attack on a military convoy in Lashkar Gah, in Helmand Province. . . .
Speaking at the start of Prime Minister's Questions, Mr Blair said: "I'm sure that the whole house will join me in sending our deepest sympathy and condolences to the family and friends of Marine Gary Wright of the Royal Marines who was killed in Afghanistan last Thursday.

"He was a fine soldier, he was doing an extraordinary job and his country should be very proud of him."

Meanwhile, Mr Browne expressed his admiration for the job being done by British armed forces in the country.

He was speaking from the marine base at Camp Bastion in Helmand during a four-day visit to the region.

RIP Marine Wright.

It also seems that some of the Marines just dont get how much bLair is disliked over here.
Spike

1. If it wasn't published, it won't be down to the spin machine - that's down to news editors (but I think you'll fiind it did get column inches). It doesn't alter the fat that this clown has never set foot near any of the casualties.

2. As to the Leathernecks 'not getting it' about B'liar - they f*cking soon would if they were crammed into a sub-standard barrack blocks and slum-like MQs, or fed on big promises about kit that were not kept. 8)

Sven

LE
Stonker said:
spike7451 said:
Stonker,

Gary Wright, 22, from Blanefield, Stirlingshire, died in an attack on a military convoy in Lashkar Gah, in Helmand Province. . . .

RIP Marine Wright.

Spike

1. If it wasn't published, it won't be down to the spin machine - that's down to news editors (but I think you'll fiind it did get column inches). It doesn't alter the fat that this clown has never set foot near any of the casualties.

2. As to the Leathernecks 'not getting it' about B'liar - they f*cking soon would if they were crammed into a sub-standard barrack blocks and slum-like MQs, or fed on big promises about kit that were not kept. 8)

Read Philip Caputo Stonks, I think it is in his book that it is described how the first marines in Vietnam had to put up with BARs when the rest of the forces were equiped with M16s, I also remember that their armour was for a long time a decade behind the armies and they relied on Cobras when Apache was becoming de rigeur.

I cannot comment on todays Marine Corps but historically they have been the poor relatives of the US forces family

Sven

LE
I've just had another memory.

I think it is in Chickenhawk where the author describes having to sleep with his groundsheet over his face to stop the rats taking chunks out of it

Sven said:
I've just had another memory.

I think it is in Chickenhawk where the author describes having to sleep with his groundsheet over his face to stop the rats taking chunks out of it

1. Both books on my bookshelf.

2. What was it about his face that stopped the rats eating his groundsheet? One ugly mofo . . . :? :wink:

Latest Threads