Builds Transatlantic ocean liner SS United States as she appears today, Revell 1/600scale kit

Having watched this you-tube video and seeing the abandoned SS United States in a Philadelphia harbour, I thought it would be a good chance for another rust, peeling paint ship build.

using this kit.
box artwork latest.jpg
https://res.cloudinary.com/lglcsryth/image/upload/v1636753217/box_artwork_latest_tfffvf.jpg
the colours and the design are from a long passed era, amazing that this ship even exists quite frankly, the mooring fee alone would break a small company.
kit paint guide.jpg

the kit (I can hear Daz groan in the background) is also from a different era, quite rough by todays standards, if you followed my two rewcent warshgip builds of HMS Westminster then later on Dreadnaught, you'll have seen modern trumpeter kits going together. Well this will be nothing like that, even the box is a nasty cheap tip and spill type. lid cut off, made into a tray so the sub assemblies have somewhere safe to dry.
kit in the box.jpg

starting with the bow joint, odd place for revell to put one but there you go, I know of no other kit of this ship, so here goes.
bow gap.jpg

the bridge segment deck needs sanding flat
bridge piece port side.jpg

mr surfacer will be needed here to Revell's rescue.
bridge gaps a.jpg

bridge gaps].jpg

the hull is waterline, no option of full hull, so onto a painted piece of glass it will go, not nice clean deep black water, more harbour water colours, greens, browns, and what colour is slime?

the Stern upper hull added, pegs holding it as close as flush to the hull as I can get it.
stern windows assembly.jpg

the stern window frames need flatting back so they're flush with the curve of the stern.
stern curve prior to prifiling a.jpg

Stern deck, anyone for a game of shuffle board? or just knot your hankey around your head and set up a deckchair and catch some Rays. It's the 50's, no jet travel yet. Climate change is still a long way off.
stern deck.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
the hull is waterline, no option of full hull, so onto a painted piece of glass it will go, not nice clean deep black water, more harbour water colours, greens, browns, and what colour is slime?

the Stern upper hull added, pegs holding it as close as flush to the hull as I can get it.
View attachment 615629
the stern window frames need flatting back so they're flush with the curve of the stern.
View attachment 615630
Stern deck, anyone for a game of shuffle board? or just knot your hankey around your head and set up a deckchair and catch some Rays. It's the 50's, no jet travel yet. Climate change is still a long way off.
View attachment 615631
Slime is green as any fule kno
seaweed-slimy-dock-ladder-260nw-1248274177.jpg

fitting the upper side of the hull including the cabin windows, the part is a little too long, trim that down to fit.
upper side fit b.jpg

offer it back up to check for fit...
upper side fit c.jpg

lots of filling and sanding back to do before I move any further on, so here it is with the Arrse standard scale,
construction with coke scale.jpg

so far so good.

bad airbrush day today, or rather bad paint choice, chose two tones of Revell aqua Colour white and it was like stirring ice cream, even the aqua colour thinner didn't improve matters, so nozzle back into the sonic cleaner, try again with some life colour instead.
airbrush malfunction.jpg

I know of no other kit of this ship, so here goes.
I had a large kit of the United States manufactured in the 1950s by an American company whose name I do not remember. All I really remember of it is that it was full-hulled. The kit included a roll of white adhesive tape, very narrow, which had to be stuck on to represent the white line which separated the black upper hull from the red of the bottom.
The same company made a Mississippi riverboat, a side wheeler, also in a large scale.

Latest Threads