Tranmere Rovers Wants to Build Houses on Wilfred Owen War Memorial

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by JoeCivvie, Jul 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anthem for doomed playing fields

What piss poor judgement from those who play like cattle?
    Only the monstrous anger of the veterans.
    Only the Chelsea pensioners rabid prattle
    Can pour shite on their vile and nasty plans.
    Heap mockeries now on them; shit players, no balls,
    Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs, -
    The shrill, demented choirs of Tranmere fans;
    And fogies calling them ***** from sad shires.

What fingers may be waved to speed them all?
    All in the hands of boys, and in their eyes
    Shall shine the holy glimmers of goodbyes.
    The loss of one last field, to kick their balls;
    There flowers the merciless accountant minds,
    And each slow dusk a drawing down of blinds

• Like Like x 2
  2. His words are immortal,

it doesn't need a grass field I didn't even know existed to remember him.

3. Life goes on, maybe the lads would have liked a footy field named after them. Surely they could build something into the proposed development as a lasting memorial to them without it getting tacky.

4. To be quite honest, I'd bulldoze a war grave for £5 mil.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Life goes on and building a future for the living and those yet to come is perhaps more important than setting the past in stone.

There are a few points from the article I noticed. The ground was described as being 'transferred' from the council to the club in 1995. Do they mean sold by the council? Or was it given to the club?

If it was sold by the council then the time for outcry was 1995, unfortunately it's a bit late now. It would eb interesting to see what was said at the time. Whether the club promised to preserve it or not.

Their attempt to claim it's not a memorial is a bit weak given the name of the place: 'Ingleborough Road Memorial Playing Fields'. Although I suppose its likely that the wendyball chavs are completely ignorant as to what it's a memorial to.

6. "Tranmere Rovers is owned by Peter Johnson, the former chairman of Everton and owner of AIM-listed mail-order company Park Group. His wealth rose to £55m last year, according to the Sunday Times Rich List. Ownership of the ground was transferred from the council to Tranmere Rovers in 1995, which uses the fields for training. Its market value would increase from £150,000 to £5m if planning permission is granted.
    It is understood the cash will be used to reduce Tranmere’s bank debts ahead of a long hoped for sale of the club. It also owes £5.2m to Johnson."

Planning permission is granted and Mr Johnson gets his £5.2m back. No planning permission and he is stuck with the club and its debts.

B

7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In principle I've no objection to him disposing of his property however he sees fit. That is what ownership is all about. I just have some questions about that ownership. What were the circumstances of the transfer of ownership from the council to the 'club'? Where there any restrictions put on the club's use of the memorial field? Where there any 'understanding' formal or 'informal' about the club's use or disposal of the grounds?

8. I wouldn't take everything as gospel from that report, after all it does refer to Tranmere Rovers as a PROFESSIONAL football team!