Tranferring to the Army Legal Service

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Sammy The Cat, Aug 10, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. *Edited

Since rectified - the party line is available from DALS, it is possible but the exception rather than the rule
  2. I don't know about the feasability of a transfer, but if you're that qualified, why not leave the Army and become a civi solicitor? You'd earn an awful lot more than a WO2 ever would.
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I know of an ALS officer who was qualified but joined as an infantry officer, transferring later.

Why not ring HQ ALS? They always seem to be short-handed, so will probably bite your hand off.
  4. If you want to be a lawyer..........don't join the ALS. You're wasting a fcking good education.
  5. That's nasty........

There seem to be a lot of guys wanting to join - and they all have good degrees, since the starting pay for a lawyer is about £13K then I don't know whether the ALS is worthy of all the grief it seems to get.

There may be a problem coming from the "other ranks" though.
  6. Starting pay for a lawyer £13k? I think not. I didn't waste three years at uni getting my law degree for a poxy £13k. Try £31k and you'd be closer to the mark.
  7. The Law Commision and the Law Society set the minimum as £13K - if you are regulated by the Bar Council then your salary may very well be different. Nonetheless if all lawyers (solicitors not barristers) were started at £31K then the 60% of Law graduates who do not work in legal services would be foolish to start as less than £31K by default.

Not every law firm will recruit at £30K+, hence a number of graduates working in a field different to their degree and the ALS being quite an attractive prospect.

Source: Law Commission figures for 2002 - Undergraduate funding.
  8. Hark at her.....

9. Different people are talking about different things.
    To be a 'lawyer' you first need either a law degree or to have passed a mini law course (CPE) if you have a different degree.
    You next decide if you want to be a solicitor or a barrister.
    If solicitor then you do a 1 year course (LPC) and then have to do a training contract for 2 years - the minimum salary p.a. is around £14,000 though City firms pay up to around £35,000.
    If barrister then you do a 1 year course (Bar Finals) and then have to do a training course ('pupillage') for 1 year - the minimum payment is £10,000 though some sets pay up to £25,000.

However unless things have changed dramatically you must be a solicitor or barrister before you can join the ALS. You cannot do your training contract or pupillage with them. If this is still the case then you would have to leave the service for 1 or 2 years in order to this and then re-enter.
    That may very well be your main problem.

I am of course happy to assist if anyone would like a bit more info.
  10. A service lawyer is a specialty occupation, and I'd be surprised if there is not a Direct Entry scheme that even a serving soldier who has the right qualifications would be eligible for.

Coming from the "other ranks" may well be an advantage
  11. Some lawyers in city firms / chambers in particular may earn a lot of money, but I have other friends in the legal profession who are working in areas such as personal injury (that's right, I have friends who are ambuance chasers!) earning significantly less, and others who are working as para-legals as they are struggling to get a training contract. The minimum salary for solicitors would not have been set at £14k if all solicitors were earning significantly more anyway.

One problem at the moment is that there are a lot of people taking law degrees, so there are more people trying to get into law than there is a need for lawyers. The ALS is not a bad career option. The salary is reasonable, and it is an opportunity to practise criminal law, which can be a particularly competitive area. Ultimately, decide what you want from your professional life. If you enjoy the army lifestyle and don't wish to work as intensely as you will in the City, the ALS is probably a good option. Equally, if money is your main aim, the ALS is probably not the place to be.
  12. I concur with m'learned friend Martial, you need to be qualified to join ALS, certainly as an officer entry. Now, a crafty way might be to tag onto them, get started on yer part-time LPC course over 2 yrs (local college?) and work off your trainning contract concurrently. You do 2 yrs in a "legal" environment and it counts as 18 mths off yer actual contract......No. Stop.

Martial is right, the ALS does not provide a training contract. :cry: Plus it only does criminal, really. And that's just prosecuting your mates :( And you need to do something else that's not as much fun as crim. (hence my 6 mth posting to Matrimonial-traz). Have you even thought about what kind of law you want to do? IMHO, its ALL crap (except crim, which is great. Proper LADS work.) :D

If youse are in it for the money, get down the docks and do "favours for sailors". There are fahsands of little wannabe lawyers (mostly Ally McBeal-types,it has to be said) selling short their little ARRSE's for the 3 training contracts available. And £14k only dents the £10-15k it costs you to get there. Take a long hard look. Once started, its a hell of a ride. But like Premiership football, or possibly being a sperm-it can end rather badly.
  13. Heya chaps, new here but following up on the ALS aspect the 'articles' for a solicitor, as previously stated, are between a set, but entirely dependent upon your location and choice of firm. A small family company would probably pay the set minimum regulated by the Law Soc, whereas a magic circle firm would pay much wages and all that. I'm doing the CPE/LPC route and have consequently put a lot of time and research into the area, although the Army didn't want to know anything about me and wouldn't take questions until I was qualified, a certain Colonel (ret) was very succinct about that. If anyone would like to know anything else about a CPE route to being a solicitor just PM me, I'm a little vague on BAR so questions about that may be best directed elsewhere.
  14. Minimum for a Trainee (previously known as an articles clerk is set by the Law Society (as at 1st August 2006) at

£17,110 in central London
    £15,332 elsewhere

After two years training contract is completed the mimimum is usually circa £30,000, though it can be less.

I've just done a law degree myself (after 8 years regs) so I'm currently looking for a training contract before (maybe) considering ALS.

Any offers???

15. I've just finished my law degree and want to join the ALS. I'm not motivated by money and i've always thought about joining the forces. My plan though is to officer training and serving till i'm about 27 before coming out and trying to find a training contract, before going back to the ALS. Although i appreciate that it would probably be easier to just go through the motions (LPC, training contract) and then going, i'm very keen on serving my country first. Can anyone give me any advice?? I know that i can't join (or even apply!) before i've completed my training contract and articles but i'm also aware that the ALS has a cut off age limit (i'm assuming this is to accomodate the physical aspect of officer training)