Training when your body is still sore

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ITMatt, May 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Just a general question regarding training.

Is it a bad thing to push your body when it is still sore from a previous workout?

Is there anyway of reducing the time it takes for your body to recover from workouts?

2. Couple for you..

What are you looking at joining?

When you say sore, do you mean ache?

What training is causing the "soreness"? running, weights, self abuse???
  3. Depends on the soreness. If it's mild DOMS you can usually get away with it providing you warm up / stretch thoroughly prior to training. Usually still have slight DOMS in my legs / arse from hiking though providing there aren't any "niggling" injuries in my joints I'll train.

Exposing the affected areas to heat (baths, presses) can aid recovery as it boosts circulation of nutrients & oxygen to the muscles / cells.

Quality sleep, decent nutrition & keeping hydrated may not reduce DOMS duration, though will ensure it isn't prolonged more than need be.
  4. I'm joining the Royal Signals.
    More of an ache day after running/weight lifting

I feel bad when I pass up training because of it, but I do resume it the next day.

Should I feel bad for passing up training on the days I feel like this?
  5. You need to give your body more time for your body to recover after a workout.

These aches may be happening because you are not getting enough sleep or rest.
  6. Is the soreness from lack of a proper warmdown? you might need to to stretching and some low intensity work after weights or a hard session.

But if you have pushed yourself hard you will still hurt a bit the next day. I find you know when you are training hard when each day you are slightly sore/tired from the previous days training sessions, but you still do your sessions, day after day. Obviously have rest days, but 1 day off a week is fine, professional athletes don't even get that. Your body will adapt, it just takes time, so start with something sensible but always look to increase the volume/intensity as soon as you start getting comfortable.
  7. A suggestion would be to do what I do (although it may not suit you).
    3 hard days of gym work mainly focusing on weights (mostly upperbody) with minor cardio as well as work on the heavy bag.

the other four days will be "rest" days. In which I may do milder exercise or at least for less time such as 3 mile run in morning followed by a few sets of pressups and situps. In otherwords I do not go to the gym at all and the exercise is done at home. Although some days you will wish to bugger all.

these days will be arranged easy, hard, easy ...

obviously your personal schedule will interfere with this and most likey will not be able to follow it to the letter but I follow it roughly.

hope it helps.
  8. Do I need to be "superfit" when I turn up at ADSC?

I like to work out 5 times per week, but some times it drops to 4 due to the above.
  9. For signals not really. But it wouldnt hurt.
    5 times a week is pretty damn good, although you could be overdoing it, hence why your sore. You must give yourself time to recover or you will not benefit.
    give yourself some total rest for a few days and allow the soreness to subside completely. After this you will find that it takes much more to make you sore.
  10. Man, I am really happy to hear that. I've been beasting myself stupid, because I can't seem to get my 1.5 mile run time under 10:30 mins, despite the fact that I can run 3 miles in under 21 mins. Its even worse when I end up taking a day off from training.

A stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Does being short affect running speed? If so, how?
  11. 10:30? are you doing officer selection then?
    I am and thats my limit (my 1.5 is 9:20 flat, depending on heat)
    I thought the limit was higher for lower ranks. I thought it was like 12:30 or something, I may be mistaken.

I knew a lad during the various visits and such who was only about 5'5 (when he was 16) and he was an incredibly fast runner.
    being short means you have less weight to carry but means your limbs are shorter and therefore cannot take as large a strides as a taller chap.
  12. My recruitment officer asked me what time I can do the 1.5 mile run in, and I told him 10:30 mins - he laughed and said, "is that it" :lol:

I have this impression that if I do it in 10:30+ that I'll be laughed at in ADSC.
  13. how old was your recruitment officer?
    I will not name him but was he a Colonel (retd) and hold an MC (military cross)
    I may have spoken to him several times before.
    PM where you saw him/his initials so I can be sure.
    but do as he tells you.
  14. Having read your own replies, and with the fact your going into the signals, i would say your just slightly over-doing it.

You dont really need to be superman to be in the signals, but a fairly decent level of fitness for basic is always useful.
    You will be trained to army levels pretty quickly and realise that you were probably just trying too hard to be fit.

Drop your regime down to 4 days for a while and maybe do it in two day stages, ie 2 on 2 off.

Take plenty of hot soaking baths after a hard session to relax the old muscles a bit, and let your body get use to the new levels.

Your not joining the infantry, so you dont need to be at such a high level.

And there will also be people on your basic who are well below the required levels, so dont fret it, if you have been doing what you say, then im sure your level is going to be acceptable regardless.
    Just get your running times upto scratch and your sorted.
  15. Yes, you're most likely right.

Do you guys give out 110% every training session?

I reckon I could have my ADSC within the next 4-6 weeks.