Training to work in broadcasting

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by bob_cat, Jul 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excuse the marketing but I think it might help someone here with their future and I believe thats the purpose of this area.

Hi ladies and gents,

I've been directed here by a relative who uses arrse and I thought it would be nice to see if anyone was interested. I come from the broadcast engineering field and have mainly worked in telecommunications for broadcasting. But I originally trained as a broadcast engineer and that is now what I have returned to teach. I am now a senior lecturer in broadcast media technology, and I teach what is called a Foundation Degree in Science: Broadcast Media Technology (FdSc:BMT). It takes two years full-time and you get a recognised foundation degree (to be viewed much like an HND) at the end of it. There is also an optional BSc top-up year to get a full degree.

I am posting here because of a lack of awareness of this subject, lots of people these days want to be in front of the camera and there is also a long line of people wanting to be just behind the camera, but there is a distinct lack of people who want to make it all happen. In technology terms it's really interesting and practical, completely hands on applied engineering. We teach pleanty of engineering theory (from the very basics so no one is excluded) and we show the students how to apply that knowledge to solving real broadcast challenges.

No doubt that many of you don't like the prospect of two years in fulltime education, and its not always easy I agree. But the fact is that we support mature students, we have many on the course now and the course is not just full of spotty kids. Everyone who comes on this course is determined to work and get somewhere because of the focused nature of the course. Also you might be concerned about the financial implications? Well I believe that over 95% of students graduating get a relevant job in industry (not McDonalds). Our institution has such a history and close links with industry (many lecturers and some students still work freelance) that the industry comes to us to ask for candidates. I believe one of our graduating third years had four job offers to pick from when he finished.

Because of lack of applicants, in mid-August we will be going to clearing so we can fill the available slots and we would be very interested in hearing from ex-Service persons. Obvious applicants are signals and support crew, but anyone with an interest in science/technology and not afraid of a bit of maths is welcome. A range of support options are available, including learning assistance. Myself and the industry as a whole would also like to encourage females and ethnic minorities into engineering. Eventually working in industry is a great team experience, everyone knows everyone and you will doubtless encounter many other ex-Service people as I have.

So, feel free to ask any questions, try to resist the urge to flame me if you don't like the post. Especially forgive any errors in my writing, I am on holiday in Greece at the moment, see how much I want to promote the course? Either contact the college directly or email me back and I will respond next time I check my mail.

2. Why cant i get channel 5 properly on my TV??? Its been sodding years now, and your in sodding greece, and im stuck at work.
  3. Scarletto, no one can get Channel 5 'properly'... thanks for reading though...

Channel 5 can be had on Sky, obviously you might not want to pay Murdoch, so get a box, second hand off ebay, call Sky and ask for a "Freesat" card. For a small admin fee (£20 for the card or £150 with box and install) you get the basic terrestrial channels and no subscription (the card needs to be replaced every 3-5 years). They don't talk much about that much obviously, but there is a website:

4. Damn, see my sodding sarcasm failed too