Training to Battalion

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Riggsy, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I'm a new guy in for ITC Catterick this Sunday.
    Quick simple question.

In regards to the Parachute Regiment, what is it that determines the specific Battalion you are to be sent to upon completing everything required in training?

What I mean is, do you have to be more physically capable and a genius to be immediately sent to 1st Battalion (SFSG) straight from training or are you just as likely to be sent to one of the other two regular Battalions (2/3 PARA). Is it random or is it based on the evaluation specifics of your commitment during training? Can you even join 1 PARA from training?

It does say in my booklet thing I got from my AFCO,
    "Once you have successfully completed your Combat Infantryman's Course and qualified as a military parachutist you will be sent to any one of the Parachute Battalions."

But I heard somewhere else (from a civvie I think) that you have to do 2 years in 2/3 PARA to even attempt to qualify for a transfer to 1 PARA.
    Might have my wires crossed somewhere but just wondered.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'd worry more about Catterick and Sandy the Guvnor if I were you!

3. not always the case.

4. Wouldn't they want guy's with some expeirience going there?, I was lead to believe (by a royal) the bootnecks who go there have to have a year in and preferably a tour under their belt's. :?

5. Thats what I thought too. Something along those lines.