Training Techniques

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by PrinceAlbert, Feb 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since someone has deleted the thread on weight lifting, for no apparent reason that I can see, I figured I'd start another one.

As discussed in the last thread I have been looking as Wendlers 5/3/1 technique. Apparently it gives good gains in core strength without spending hours in the gym.

I've bought to book off Amazon, and will let you know how I get on.

What's your workout regime? Pros/cons, pitfalls and wins?
  2. 5/3/1 on the 2 day split.

Pros: relatively short workouts, focused on the big, compound Lifts; Bench, Squat, Deadlifts and Military Press. I've also started adding Power Cleans. Two days is enough to build strength and power, while leaving enough time for other training or sports.

Cons: none that I can think of. 5/3/1 is the best all round strength training program I've ever used.
  3. As I've not started the 5/3/1 yet, I am assuming that it's not much good for getting cut?
  4. I bought my 1st free weights set when I was around 15 after reading Arnies "pumping iron." I quickly got into some good routines devised at the time by Joe Weider. His workouts were based on % of bodyweight, and were a good for an all-round workout.
  5. I always keep to compounds. ***** in the gym trying to get massive performing triceps kickbacks or leg extensions are wasting their time. I see it all the time with blokes who have just got a course of deca and sustanon looking to get massive for summer leave.
  6. I can see why people isolate the triceps though. It's the best way to have massive looking arms.

Edit to add: I'm guilty of hammering my triceps recently :)

7. Getting "cut" is more about diet than training, mate. There is a variation of 5/3/1 called Boring But Big; after you've done the heavy sets on Bench, for example, drop the weight by 50% and do 5 sets of ten reps on the same exercise. This develops hypertrophy(muscle size)without losing strength.

Or as Wendler puts it, "I don't care how big you are. If you don't have strength to go with your size, you're no different to a chick wearing a strap-on: all show and no go.":biggrin:
  8. That's why I want to get the 5/3/1 squared away. Build some good core strength, then build on that with some heavy weight bulk work, then finally do the low weight/high rep work to define.
  9. Thing is, if they want to get big, all they have to do is hit the compound lifts hard and they'll develop size along with strength. It is'nt ******* rocket science, or a brain-donor like me could'nt do it.:roll:
  10. Well, that's great thing about 5/3/1; as long as you follow the basic system, you can fine tune it for your own goals.:cool:
  11. Well that's a long term goal. Will see how it pans out. After recently getting back into weights from a long spell away I was amazed at how less I could lift, so doing the 5/3/1 should hopefully bring me back up to a good lifting weight again sharpish.
  12. Just don't try to run before you can walk, mate. This is a major theme of the book,

"Most lifters want to start heavy and they want to start now. This is nothing more than ego, and nothing will destroy a lifter faster and for longer than ego."

Slow but steady progress is a damn sight better than trying to equal your all time Personal Record on your first session back, and ending up injuring yourself. Trust me, I was that dumb-ass.:oops:
  13. Already found that bad-boy out! Remembered what I used to lift, banged it on, pushed out a few reps then had to drop the weights by about 20%.

Still fucked in the morning.
  14. Yeah, we've all done that mate.:biggrin:

Say hello to your new friend, Mr DOMS: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Which is just a fancy way of saying that until your body adapts to the extra work, you will be stiff and sore for a couple days after the workouts. It gets easier though.
  15. I find that the day after isn't too bad, it's the day after that!