Training Supplements

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mac7778, Aug 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. :D

Having spent the last few years boxing and spending all my time keeping my weight down i have now started trying to increase my size and muscle mass.

Was wondering what people are using as supplements for weight gain and what sort of results you have been getting.
  2. I find that beer does the trick.
  3. Ye........................not the sortta weight gain i had in mind. :p
  4. If you get maximuscle don't get the orange flavor i have it in cyclone and i cant drink it. The smell makes me want to throw up and the taste makes me want to throw up lol. Lucky they have a no hassle refund policy because its going back.
  5. If you want to build muscle you need to do a couple of things:

Train. For this you need to eat carbs and fat in order to sustain exercise duration and intensity. Be careful; if you eat too much you will get fat, too little and you'll fail.

Recover and Build. For this you need to rest lots and eat some protein. Protein is not easily stored so your body excretes surplus (this is the basis of the Atkins Diet). However, it tastes crap. Effective recovery is essential. When you train hard you are effectively damaging your muscle tissue; if you don't recover before exercising again you risk creating internal scar tissue rather than fresh and strong muscle growth. Beware of DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness); your muscles don't tell you that they are properly knackered until about 36 hours after intense exercise. So, it can be easy to overtrain.

Good sources of protein are fish and red meat. I eat pilchards; mmmm, lovely.

Science In Sport (SiS) do a good range of sport fuels including protein suppliments. Watch out for their 'Rego' recovery fuel, it makes you fart like you'd never imagine. Personally, I only use carbs in powder form (eg SiS PSP22) and get my protein from my normal diet, but for your purposes, you might need to suppliment.

Science In Sport:

Click the tab 'suppliments' on the site for some really good advice.

Tsk, bodybuilders; they're all big pervs if you ask me.
  6. Right, here I go crying in the wilderness...

Don't believe me?

1. Here's a calculator from a climbing website:

Protein requirements

2. Note also this point about maximal needs:

3. Bottom line? your absolute maximum protein intake should be around 2 grams of protein per kilo body weight per day, if you are seeking to put on mass... For a 15 stone individual (that's big for a lean, fit person...), this is (2x95) = 190 grams... That's 6.7 ounces...

So a single Quarter Pounder (4 ounces), if we assume it's only 3/4s protein in the notional 4 ounces of meat, is giving you half your daily maximum protein requirement.

If you are actually eating a healthy diet, with chicken and milk involved, there is no need whatsoever to pay the insane prices for these supplements.

4. I would also advise that you consider this point:

5. Fallschirmjagaer's link is a good read - but, oooohhh - look who sponsors the forums - maximuscle and hardcore body building...

The vast majority of the supplement industry is a con. Unless there are very specific issues linked to your individual circumstances (ie you are a manual labourer working in Arctic conditions for 12 hours a day, who wants to win the mister universe contest, and who has a muscle wasting disease), it is completely pointless to buy supplements: you are -literally - piissing your money away, and risking your health.

This is not to be rude to those who support/advertise such supplements. The problem is, they confuse the effects of their intensely healthy diet and exercise regime with the irrelevant chucking of assorted whey and protein shakes down their gullets at vast expense. If you have the discipline to eat a healthy, balanced diet, and to work out in a sensible way at least 4 times a week, you will see mass/bulk gains. Do not waste your money on miracle ingredients...
  7. Thing about climbers is that they aren't really looking to pack on loads of weight...

mac, if you go to you'll find loads of articles on nutrition and supplements (as well as thousands on training).

The only supplements that I use are protein powder and creatine. Both I take as part of a post workout shake; I'll occasionally have a protein shake separately if I wouldn't otherwise manage to get enough protein in the day (I try to get a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight). Am sure there are other supplements that are useful (fish oils and BCAAs get a very good press) but they do for me.

Remember that supplememnts are just that though. If you haven't got everything else completely in place (diet, training, recovery etc) they're not going to do much good.
  8. supplements are for yank gay ******* gym buddys
  9. Well take yourself back to the naffi, order another double cheese burger and cheesy chips, get another pint of lager and stop wasting everyones time. :roll:
  10. Basically, to reflect the point of several of the immediately preceding posts, you do not need to suppliment as you can get all of your dietary needs from, duh, duh, duuuuuuh, your diet. However, suppliments do have certain benefits: they help take away some of the uncertainty of simple diet, they can be more effective/have concentrated effect (if you know what you're doing and know your body (most of us do not)), they make you feel special (like you're embarking on some kind of misterious semi-professional fitness regime), and they make you poorer. One thing is for ertain; they are not some kind of magic bullet and they absolutely will not do the work for you.
  11. Dtmw, purely out of interest, you aim at a gram per pound of bodyweight: for my 15 stone example, that'll give a target of 210 grams: pretty close to the amount the figures suggest is about right.

But what I don't understand is why you need a protein shake to hit that sort of amount per day?

210 grams is about 7 and a half ounces... If you can't get that down via chicken, tuna, peanuts etc, as part of a balanced diet, there's something I'm missing.

Not doing you any harm, hopefully, but I still see no need to pay for odd tasting powders...
  12. I use maximusle promax (whey protein) and it is quite good.
    Too build larger muscles you need to do heavy weights but low reps(so ive been told by my gym instructor). But if your joining the army i wouldnt recommend doing that, i would go for low weight but high intensity + high reps.
  13. Low weight high reps builds muscular endurence and speed which is what you do an awful lot in boxing training.

But at some point your going to want to build muscle which is where the heavy weights low reps come in which is what im doing at the moment..........hence the question about supplements to help muscle building.