Training regimen

Hey all, I'm looking to join the Army as a soldier when I graduate university in 3 years, but at the moment I'm a bit of a fat cnut (18st) and want some advice on a training regimen to follow whilst I'm at university to help me get Army fit by the time I graduate.

I also had an Arthroscopy on my right knee in 2004 (rubgy injury). It is all healed now, but I don't want to start running too heavily on it just yet

I'm currently following this pattern:

Mon: 8 mile HARD bike ride followed by 1 hour situps/pushups etc
Tues: 10 mile medium bike ride
Wed: Rest
Thurs: 4 Mile run followed by 1 hour situps/pushups etc
Fri: 8 mile hard bike ride
Sat/Sun: 10 mile medium bike ride or 8 mile run

When I go back to university next week I'm going to join the gym there so any specific exercises I should do would be greatly appreciated!

You're 18 stone and can do an hour of press ups and sit ups at a time?

Is a large part of this hour spent resting?

Tartan_Terrier said:
You're 18 stone and can do an hour of press ups and sit ups at a time?

Is a large part of this hour spent resting?
He mentions that he's a Rugby player, therefore I would imagine that he's not 18 stone of blubber.

Correct me if i'm wrong though big boy!

Try taking a note of how many reps of each you actually do in this hour. I'd be interested to see the results.

How about doing some swimming too?

Tartan_Terrier said:
Try taking a note of how many reps of each you actually do in this hour. I'd be interested to see the results.

How about doing some swimming too?
Yep swimming is a good type of excerise, conditions your body, is a no impact cardio excerise and is good when you generally feel tired.